Since it's raining and since I can't go fishing, today, for numerous reasons and since I've always been curious about this................... I thought, "What the hey, why not??"

I've seen a lot of posts on here, and elsewhere, that make me chuckle when someone says "I began tying flies, to SAVE MONEY!". In a sense, they're right, in a sense, though, depending on how much you tie and how much you fish and loose flies, there's a difference.
Now, I know, there may be others that will "disprove my highly non-scientific approach to the following finds", but the next time you're as bored as I AM, today, then YOU can work out your OWN formula and let us know the results.

So, that said...................
Taking 4ea. of #14-16-18 size dry flies. (Quill Gordens, Red Quills, Renegades). I weighed out on my gun powder scales, 5grains to the dozen, for this assortment. (tied per original recipes and on Mustad #94840 hooks).
Taking the 5 grains, per dozen flies, multiplied by number of grains per pound, then taking an "average of materials costs", based at $1.75 per fly
that came to $1,837.50 per OUNCE, or $16,800.00 for ONE POUND of dry flies, if tied and sold by the pound, at $1.75 per fly.

After, doing this extremely sad of example of an afternoon's wasted time, I called and talked to Bill at The Fly Shop, in Redding Ca. he quickly ran the formula I'd used and came up with his own. His results were only off from mine, by $1.17 a pound.

There ya' have it. Only $16,800.00 per pound, we pay for dry flies, in those 3 sizes IF we tie our own. Imagine, at fly shop prices, what they cost us? Think, what a pound of Cone Head Wooly Buggers would cost?
I, think, now I need to eat a SPAM 3-layer toasted sandwich and forget the whole thing.