+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharkskin relief?

Hybrid View

Default Sharkskin relief?

I've read several posts on different boards about how "Sharkskin" flylines cause abrasions on the fingers. I've never fished a sharkskin line, and have no connection with the line, or the stripping aid shown in the link below. Saw it in an ad in "Flyfisherman Mag" and thought I'd put it up, in case it will help solve someone's problem. I also don't know how well it would work, or how durable it would be. Can anybody chime in?

http://www.alpineproducts.com/products/stripee.php
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Default Sharkskin relief

I've cast the sharkskin lines and there is a good chance for abraision of the stripping across your fingers. During the warmer season, I have found that a three fingered glove used for shooting pool works very well with regular fly line, and is thin enough that, if you fish by feel like I do most of the time, you can still feel everything that goes on with your line. Some stripping finger protectors have leather pads or other materials on the joint section that make it difficult to feel subtle takes. If the opportunity is available to anyone in need of such a product, I would recommend one that is thin or sheer, so to speak, that would allow one to fish as they normally would.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

At least on individual has been posting a gripe about the line on numerous boards. A rough surface would not dissuade me from using this line. There are a number of sources of lycra stripping guards that are slipped over the fingers. Petersen Stripping Guards is one. Google "Stripping Guards" and you will get many hits. These products usually run 4-6 bucks for a pack of three.

I have been using these for years. Started using them when I started fishing with shooting heads for striped bass and other species. Even with a nice smooth line, if I pull more than a mile of line across the fingers during the day, which does happen in a 12 hour day of fishing, my fingers get irritated. As a habit, I know where one on a finger almost any time I fish. They are very durable.

If you have sewing skills, you can make your own.

I fished and lawn cast the line for a week in Idaho with no sore fingers ever. Of course, I do not pull my line in at 90 degrees over my finger either. I hold my rod over toward my left and pull the line almost straight. Have to to do a good line strike and I have a wide degree of control of the pull that way.

Not just for the sharkskin.....
    Stripping guards are pretty much mandatory on the salt
    I use a couple of wraps of duct tape
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I am with JC on stripping line. I strip straight back or slighly up, but never 90 degrees downward. Doing that causes the friction and those nasty cuts on your finger. Ouch!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

7. Default

The sharkskin does cause skin loss, but it is a wonderful line that I use daily.

If you're fishing mostly dry flies you won't suffer any hardship, if you are spending the entire day stripping nymphs or streamers you'll get a nice rope burn that'll make your finger quite sensitive.

It's still a good line and the "gripe" was an FYI post, so anglers are not surprised.

+ Reply to Thread