+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kamchatka

Hybrid View

Default Kamchatka

Hey everyone...Got a catalogue in the mail today from The Fly Shop, and I was looking at all the incredible fishing vacations that they offer.The one to Kamchatka just seems awesome. I would love the opportunity to fish all that virgin water, but there is no danger of that for me.. too poor!! However, I was wondering if anybody has been there and what it was like. How about any of the other exotic trips they offer like Chile or Argentina?
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

yea i saw that to and spent the evening drooling

I have looked at kamchatka on many occaisions but time, distance, and money just don't seem to make it worth while.

As for other trips-- did Chile last year and going back in two weeks --- awesome trip. lots for fish, nice people. Overall, a great time -- otherwise wouldn't be going back.

This will probably be my last trip to Chile for awhile -- just too many other places I want to fish -- maybe Kamchatka but only a maybe.

Would like to hit the East Coast somehere in Canada for Atlantic Salmon or British Columbia for steelhead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I have looked at kamchatka on many occaisions but time, distance, and money just don't seem to make it worth while.

As for other trips-- did Chile last year and going back in two weeks --- awesome trip. lots for fish, nice people. Overall, a great time -- otherwise wouldn't be going back.

This will probably be my last trip to Chile for awhile -- just too many other places I want to fish -- maybe Kamchatka but only a maybe.

Would like to hit the East Coast somehere in Canada for Atlantic Salmon or British Columbia for steelhead.
    East coast Canada - Ponds on the Miramichi in New Brunswick
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Default Kamchatka

I fished there in Aug 2000.

These are my general impressions.

1. Fish size greatly over hyped. 5# average is hard to meet when the first few fish are 14" long! We fished a non-steelhead river. Fish comparable to most Alaska rivers. It takes a VERY rich river with a lot of food to grow very larger trout - rivers that far north do not have that food supply.

2. Food simple , bland and non exciting.

3, Housing acceptable - individual tents with two cots and electric light bulb

4. A long ways to travel to fish. Don't miss your return flight three bad thing can happen - first, your visa will have expired; second you will most likely run out of cash; and third you will not of learned enough Russian to do any negotiations. * grin*

5. Guides - Generally marginal to average. Most are transferring techniques used in Montana or Alaska to the Kamchaka waters - they work but then again almost anything will work.

6. Fish are not sophisticated- most every works - bluegill poppers, hair mice, woolly buggers, small nymphs under an indicator, dries of all sizes, and on and on.

7. Don't have a medical problem - you are LONG ways from good help!

8. Value on a scale of 1 to 10 -- fishing a 5, experience an 8.

It was fun once but I would not return.

Hey Jim...thanks.. that was kind of what I was expecting..Thought it sounded too good to be true.. That is a long ways to travel for fish sizes that are catchable closer to home. Hey Ortho.. Did you go to Chile through The Fly Shop? Whereabouts did you go/ are you going?
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

+ Reply to Thread