+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB OR TRADE egg patterns

Default WTB OR TRADE egg patterns

Im trying to find some inexpensive egg patterns let me know what you have got. Any weighted patterns, clown patterns, or synthetic eggs?

Normand Guest

get yourself a bag of craft store pompoms and stab them onto a curved scud hook and secure with a drop of crazy glue. very cheap way to get glo bugs.
    Last edited by Normand; 01-18-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Blog Entries

We use a lot of beads at times because they are so important in the diets of everything around. Clouds of dollies with a constant stream of eggs drifting past get real fussy. The surprising thing to me is the fact I always considered color to be the critical factor. I now believe color is way secondary to size.

We have played with hand-painting beads to ensure the right color is available when needed. Unfortunately we always assumed bigger was better and never thought to cover the bases with sizes, especially to the small side.

Glo-bugs work and work well, just make sure you make some small enough and that you keep them nice and round. A white marabou streamer hanging off a globug works wonders also.
    art

I just got a new cheep little vice with some foam stuff hooks and the spindle holder. I tied about twenty and they ended up a little big and out of shape. There werent that bad I will probably use a few of them on the river. I made some nuke eggs with the white yarn and some clowns and attempted my version of the blood egg. The hardest part is getting the yarn not to show and tying it off.

Default Glue egg

We use a glue egg, with glow in the dark thread from wal-mart wrapped in the center. Wrap the tread on the hook to form a small ball, take a slice of glue stick about the thichness of a nickel. Put a slice in the glue so you can postion it over the thread. Next put the hook with the glue slice in your hackel pliers. Light a candle or lighter keeping the flame low so it doesn't smoke, as this would make your egg cloudy. Next run the glue over the flame but watch you don't over heat it, then as the glue melts you can rotate the hackel pliers to round the glue forming an egg. When the egg is formed the way you want I drop it in a glass of water to stop the melting process. This sounds nuts but a plastic cup could make your egg stick to the bottom, where a glass one won't. Also I like to add a blood drop by putting a contrasting color on the egg. I put a very small chip of glue stick on a cutting board and take a finished egg and heat it just enough for the glue chip to stick to it, then I add just enough heat to blend it in. These do take some practice to get the hang of it, but look so real in the water. If you want I could send you a few I have lots already made up. Tim

Blog Entries

Why not just use a glue gun and apply the glue to the hook in melted form? Your method seems terribly cumbersome, if you don't mind me saying so...
    art

This way you can control the amount of glue you want to use, and there is no "string'" when you pull the glue gun away. This way came about when the person that gave our club a demo told us he was at camp and had forgot his glue gun, but had averything else. He sells these at his fly shop and found doing the flies this way was much eaiser and was able to make more in less time. Just another way to do something.

Default patterns

These are what i came up with. i got in to one today on my variation of the McFly Foam egg. They didnt hold up as well as the store bought ones did but they worked. The hooks were a little small size so i will probably go with a 8 or 6 next time. These fish were from a couple days ago. Bonked the cromer and released the other one. They are both hatchery fish and you can keep two a day. I lost both of the fish i hooked today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

tim
    I see why now... When we are doing them we have at least a couple glue guns with different colors going and work on several "flies" at a time, dropping them in water as we add a new "egg" to the cluster. Glue temp is important in reducing the strings, but they are not really a problem once things get working. A heat gun does a great job of getting rid of them and rounding up questionable clusters.
    art

+ Reply to Thread