+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MW/NE Rugged, Wilderness Sites (non ff)

Default MW/NE Rugged, Wilderness Sites (non ff)

(Mid West, North East)

All the talk on the board about trips being planned and bucket lists, etc. has really got me thinking about this upcoming spring, summer and fall.

I'm brand new to this part of the country and come from a place where really rugged, far away (seeming) Wilderness is less than a 30 minute drive away. I've done a fair amount of research on Ohio and just cannot find anything that is really 'Wilderness' that isn't a State Park. I've tried to do a little bit of searching around in neighboring states, but it all just seems so disappointing. I come from the Rocky Mountain/Desert state of Utah and I just can't seem to find something to replace what I had back home. I just know there's got to be some awesome places to go and awesome things to do in this part of the country--I can't seem to find them, though.

So, here is an opportunity to toot your state's horn. Know an amazing place that is unlike any other in the country that you consider truly wilderness? I'm talking about no campgrounds, no running water, no pump water. Just dirt, rocks, trees and water. Fishing is a plus, but not really a necessity.

Please, PLEASE share. I'm not asking you to share your near and dear places on the interent for all the freaks out there to see (unless you want to of course) so please email me or send me a PM if you don't want to post it. Or maybe a website that could help. I've checked most of the DNR websites for a lot of states and they're ok, but anythig that is user-based material is best. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Wild One; 01-15-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    Leave No Trace

Wild One -

You have my deepest sympathy. Leaving the State with probably the greatest diversity of wilderness environments, from the High Uintas to the red rock canyons of the Escalante to the incredible sights ( and crowds ) of Zion Canyon to the true solitude of Natural Bridges, Dark Canyon, Rainbow Bridge, and ........ so much more.

Best of luck in your quest.

John
    The fish are always right.

Wild One -

Got to thinking about Rainbow Bridge. We backpacked in there about seven years ago - five days and four nights in some of the most wonderful and remote red rock country in south central Utah.

Anyway, that led me to a google search on Rainbow Bridge, which led me to www.naturalarches.org. Take a look at the gallery. Take a look at the Kentucky gallery. A lot of those arches / bridges can't be all that far from Delaware ??? And at least some of them likely have a lot of dirt, rocks, trees and water around them.

If nothing else, when you try to cross this bridge, no telling what you will find on the other side.

Good luck

John
    The fish are always right.

Yeeeesh! I didn''t know there were that many arches in this country. I figured maybe a couple of dozen, but my oh my, is that website an eye opener.

Wild One,
    I expect you're feeling about the same as I did a few decades ago, when I left Idaho to work in sunny southern California. California has a bunch of great stuff in it, but most of what I thought was great was about three or four hours from where I lived, and you had to wade through fifty thousand cars to get to it. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It took two years to realize I just needed to pack up and get out, and go home. I've never been sorry I did. However I look back at some of the experiences I had while I was there, and wouldn't trade them. Climbed Mt. Whitney, caught golden trout on the Sierra east slope, went swimming in the ocean with stingrays, and a bunch of other things. If circumstances prevent you from bailing out and going home, take advantage of the things that I'm sure surround you there. Every state has something great that distinguishes it in some way, and I'm sure Ohio has as well. It's what makes this good ol' USA such a fantastic place to live. One thing I'm certain of. Circumstances will change. Hang in.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Wild One,
    This is in the "West" so your probably not interested, but I'm going to tell you about this wilderness anyway.
    Steens Mountain Wilderness
    Location; Southeast Oregon
    Size; 9,773 ft., 30 mile long Ridge, 170,025 acres
    This is an Image I found on Google of Wildhorse Lake; http://bluebook.state.or.us/images/f...nties/0341.jpg
    I hiked down to the Lake and didn't catch any fish and climbing back up to the top of Steens Mt. was no picnic!
    Here is an Image that I found on Google of Kiger Gorge; http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/county...arney/0336.jpg
    This is another view from Steens Mt. The Gorge looks like a glacier carved it. http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stori...04_F42NNP5.jpg
    This is an Image I found on Google of the Blitzen River at the base of Steens Mt.; http://www.ent.iastate.edu/dept/facu...en.preview.jpg Redband Rainbow Trout live here.
    Here is an Image I found on Google of the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout, that lives in Mann Lake; http://www.visitusa.com/oregon/images/mannlakepic.jpg The lake is on the east side of the Mt.
    I have never been to Mann Lake. It is remote. Fly fishing is best in Spring & Fall.
    I have driven to the top of Steens Mt. and it is the highest point in Oregon you can drive to.
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 01-16-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Wild One,

Buckeye born and raised here. Feeling kinda home sick are ya. Well my heart goes out to you. Wilderness that is not Ohio State Park is a tall dare I say impossible order here.

What do you like to do? What is awesome to you? Ohio has "go ahead and scream aint no one gonna hear ya" hang it, burn it, too but its state park. But if you?re really hurting, my friends and I get this way too, Canada is close enough, sorry it's not half hour away, to go and get lost.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS. Is a cool link.

Respectfully,
    Sean

P.S. Please know I took no umbrage and nor should you in our posts. And in regards to a bucket list "Moab", I want to break a frame there.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

Look at the bright side, you are now much closer to Joe V., OhioTuber, and a whole bunch of other characters on FAOL...

Ed

John,
    Thanks for the sympathy and the link. I've got a pretty funny story about Rainbow Bridge, I'll PM ya.

Lew,
    Again, thanks for the sympathy. I've 5 years left and counting!

D,
    Always wanted to see Oregon, but that'll have to wait another few years.

Sean,
    There's no place like Moab--that's for sure! State Parks are not really the issue though. Its the lack of open, far away land in those state parks that has me discouraged. Maybe I'm missing something though. No offense taken. Like I said, I'm just looking for somewhere I can get away from the signs of civilization for a while.
    Leave No Trace

Go to google and type in "Sylvania Wilderness Miich" This is a 18000 acre area with 34 lakes in upper Michigan. Porcupine Mountains Wilderness in upper Mich. Also the Boundary Waters,Quetico Provincial Park. If you like to hike do the Appalachian from Georgia to Maine. BILL

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread