+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surreal Experience (not ff)

Default Surreal Experience (not ff)

The most incredible thing happened wed. night. I was sitting on the porch of my building, reading the newspaper, when this young guy came up to me and we started talking. He only recently moved here and he told me someone tried to break his door down! Normally, that would be ALL the news, but this wasn't Normally!
    Folks, this guy lived on his Amish Family's Farm...His WHOLE 20 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. No TV
    2. No electricity
    3. No Internet
    4. No Cars
    5. Nothing that we take for granted.

Matthew is the BIGGEST Project I have ever seen! What I would like to know from you guys, is have you ever known anyone who is Amish, that departed the Community and have to start from square one in the real world??
    He is asking questions and is very willing to learn. I would like to do more than just answer his questions. Thinking about hooking him up to the Library and I'm going to talk to a Librarian also.
    I'm also going to search for Support Groups.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: Surreal Experience (not ff)

Doug;
    At least "The Project" has been raised with a good work ethic, understanding of integrity and honesty. A very solid foundation to build on.
    Take him fishing for sure! On the stream may be the best place to mentor him in the ways our world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Doug;
    At least "The Project" has been raised with a good work ethic, understanding of integrity and honesty. A very solid foundation to build on.
    Take him fishing for sure! On the stream may be the best place to mentor him in the ways our world.
    Who knows, "The Project" just might have a positive influence on the mentor. This will be an interesting thread to watch. I'll pray for "The Project."
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe;
    I agree. Sometimes the innocent can teach the teacher! This should be a very interesting challange for Doug. I think he wiill do just fine and it will be a great story someday!

There have been times I've wished I was Amish.

You could always send him down my way. He'd probably see enough to make him change his desires for life outside of Amish country.

I wish him the best...and congrats to you for having such a unique opportunity.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone!! Talking to Matthew last night SHOOK me up good! I certainly never imagined I would be answering questions from a completely innocent, completely naive, 20 yr old. This experience has changed me. I feel very protective of him, but I can't go overboard. Today I had a meeting with the Manager and explained to her I wanted Matthew to move into MY building, then I will be able to help him more. This is positively against policy, because the only way to transfer to another Apt. here is to buy UP, 1-2-3 bedroom. I knew I only had a few minutes to talk to Christina, so I went for the throat. Christina lives on a Ranch with animals (Horses) and I told her Matthew had jumped in a FROZEN lake and tied a rope around a cow to pull it out with a big wagon. I could see Christina melt a little. I have a feeling I'm going to get my way.
    I can spot a phony a mile off and Matthew is the sweetest Kid, I can hardly believe it.
    More later!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

WOW Doug
    you are one lucky man you have the opportunity to help a young man get a clear out look on life, and the added bonus to introduce him to fly fishing streams, were the majority of us have found the answers to some of life's biggest challenges or at least the chance to find them. Good luck and I also think that this may be a time for you to grow and learn more about your self. I think any way, that might be optimist coming out of me .

Just do not start calling him GRASSHOPPER
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Tonight I printed some info on what is proper behavior for a Amish person that has left their Amish Community.
    I went to Matthew's Apt. and gave it to him. I instructed him to NOT open his door for anyone (use peephole) unless they identify themselves and even then, don't open the door to strangers, only friends.
    I found that his Apt. was a long walk through two buildings. If Matthew was in my building it would be a secure place for him. He is learning to ride the Public Bus System. If your wondering WHY it is secure in my building?? Because I LIVE HERE and I will run anyone out of here if they don't want to be polite neighbors. I am a volunteer advocate for people that are afraid of making waves/trouble by calling 911. I also feel these ignorant, rude people are like mosquitoes and I don't like them either!! This is all undercover work, since I'm not showing my Hand to these jerks. I usually smile and wave as they leave (after eviction) I LOVE my job!
    I had a shock when I went to the Senior Center today because one of our long time servers died suddenly. I don't think I will be that lucky. I try not to get close to people, but I love those people and I'm willing to handle it when they pass away.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    I went to Matthew's Apt. and gave it to him. I instructed him to NOT open his door for anyone (use peephole) unless they identify themselves and even then, don't open the door to strangers, only friends.
    You do realize that he isn't 5 right? He may not know the ins, outs and details of the modern world, but I guarentee he can smell trouble when it comes around. I'm also guessing that since he lived 20 years on a farm, he's rock solid and could probably handle himself ok. If you wanted him not to speak to strangers, then how would he have met you? I'm one who would open my door to almost anyone, stranger, friend or foe. I'm not in a battle with my neighbors or the scary strangers out there. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are truly are some scary people out there and I'm not saying to live life wih a false sense of security about folks. Although, there are some freaks out there, most people aren't. I guess what I'm trying to say is, instead of telling him to cower behing the dungeon wall and only let friends who are already friends into his life, why not let him know that the morals he was brought up in are really the keys to a happy life? I know that he was taught the "Golden Rule." If he wants others to help him and let him into their doors/lives, he needs to do the same.

Then again, maybe I'm reading into it too far??? I just have this image of a scared 20 year old kid, who looks like he's 12, hiding behing the door with a table leg in hand because the cable guy is at the door and he doesn't know him and doesn't know what to do. I think its a great thing you're doing Doug. Really. I just hate to see a kid go from innocent (which can be a good thing) to a super-paranoid recluse who is stuck in the evil modern world and can't go back where its safe because he already left that. That spells therapy, medication, unbalanced and flat out unhappiness to me. There is a lot of dark in the modern world we live in, but there is a lot of beauty and light too. Don't let him be so afraid of the dark that it fills his vision, and he can't see that light.
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One
    Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    You do realize that he isn't 5 right? He may not know the ins, outs and details of the modern world, but I guarentee he can smell trouble when it comes around. I'm also guessing that since he lived 20 years on a farm, he's rock solid and could probably handle himself ok. If you wanted him not to speak to strangers, then how would he have met you? I'm one who would open my door to almost anyone, stranger, friend or foe. I'm not in a battle with my neighbors or the scary strangers out there. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are truly are some scary people out there and I'm not saying to live life wih a false sense of security about folks. Although, there are some freaks out there, most people aren't. I guess what I'm trying to say is, instead of telling him to cower behing the dungeon wall and only let friends who are already friends into his life, why not let him know that the morals he was brought up in are really the keys to a happy life? I know that he was taught the "Golden Rule." If he wants others to help him and let him into their doors/lives, he needs to do the same.

Then again, maybe I'm reading into it too far??? I just have this image of a scared 20 year old kid, who looks like he's 12, hiding behing the door with a table leg in hand because the cable guy is at the door and he doesn't know him and doesn't know what to do. I think its a great thing you're doing Doug. Really. I just hate to see a kid go from innocent (which can be a good thing) to a super-paranoid recluse who is stuck in the evil modern world and can't go back where its safe because he already left that. That spells therapy, medication, unbalanced and flat out unhappiness to me. There is a lot of dark in the modern world we live in, but there is a lot of beauty and light too. Don't let him be so afraid of the dark that it fills his vision, and he can't see that light.
    Wild One,
    I understand your concern, but you are not living here. I KNOW what is going on around here and Matthew is like a fish out of water. Understand this! Matthew has been sheltered in his closed society, his WHOLE LIFE!
    Use your imagination and think what it would be like to not have ANY contact with the outside world. You ARE reading too much into this, because Matthew has a sweet innocent spirit (maybe when I was 2) He is NOT going to turn into a paranoid recluse (I might). Did you notice that I told him NOT to open his door to strangers AFTER he first approached me?? AFTER he almost had his door broken down?? Matthew is NOT fearful and that is not good! Give me some slack also, since I don't make my living counseling Amish People. It's a pretty scary situation! Matthew is certainly NOT moving in with me, but I'm not resting until I know he is more secure. You wouldn't believe some of the questions he had for me last night!
    Matthew is not without friends, his main friend sponsored him to fly here. My responsibility isn't to run Matthew's life, but to help him get educated in our customs. The smarter Matthew becomes, the better he will be able to protect himself.
    I believe WE can be Angels to others, sometimes the timing is too good for placing you in a position to help someone. You can't discount that.
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread