+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Tackle Bassers

Default Re: Light Tackle Bassers

Here is texas I target bass for a good portion of my fishing time and my rod of choice is a 4wt. as for flies I use clousers tied in 6-8's, bendbacks to size 4, and my favorite is a bunny shad pattern that I through togther using size 4 long shank light wire bait hook (debarbed) chenile under body (your choice of color, I like olive) a zonker strip tied in just ahead of the hook bend for a tail (length to match local bait fish) then palmer the excess zonker forward. tie off build up a smooth tapered head and whip finish and cement. the rabbit strip will allow this fly to sink at a slow rate and the fly can be worked easily throughout the water column.
    this is a link to my report on a 6lb bass caught on a 4wt 9-15-07
    using the the fly described here

http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums...aspx?id=105131

txfly

I can't remember where I first saw this fly, but it has caught a lot of bass, both LMB & SMB. It's an easy tie as you might figure by looking at it, cuz it's nothing more than an olive wooly bugger with bead chain back, thus making it virtually weedless. This one is tied on a Mustad 9672 size 6, and the bead chain is 1/8" diameter. I buy my bead chain at the hardware store. I lay down a good thread base with some Ca glue, tie in the bead chain and more Ca glue to lock it in. Wrap the chenille forward with two wraps between each bead then whip finish the head. Noticeably missing is the hackle. I had it come off a fly once and kept fishing the fly without it. I kept catching bass, so my next tie was without the hackle. You can add it if you want, but it works fine without it. I color the bead chain with an olive Prisma Color marker, but it's not necessary. Try it both ways.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,

That's an awesome fly!
    Must try it at the bass impound.

Joe, Nice looking fly man.

In the past I have fished with a 4wt. for smallies and that is all fine a dandy for smaller fish. Then I learned my lesson when I caught my first 20+ inch smallie. I liked to never get that beast in the boat. After that I usually fish with a 6wt or 7wt. rod. Just my oppion.

Flybeetlefly (Paul)

Thanks Joe. I will make me some of those. I make one like it with just the "eyes" in bead chain and no more. That is an awesome idea!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks for all the great feedback (so far). I have some tying to do. I think I have been fishing too small a fly, maybe, size 10 or so for the most part. I did manage to hook a really nice bass on #10 Sparrow this spring, but I think going a little larger will help.

Russ

Lots of good ideas so far, the only thing I can add to the list would be over-sized soft hackle. I tie then up to size 6 for bass. They sink slow, so you'll have to be patient and count them down, but they do work. All that motion seems to get a bass's attention just fine, despite their relatively small size, and they cast really well even on very light rods.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread