+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner Equipment ...

1. Default Beginner Equipment ...

I'll just throw this one out there ... I'm a beginner Fly Fisherman who has 'borrowed' rods from friends up to this point, as I learned to love the sport. Now I'm looking to purchase my first rod and reel and was hoping to garner some advice from all of you. My cap is $500 as I was hoping to get something decent as to avoid having to re-purchase in a couple years. Currently, I've been looking at the Cabela's LST with an SLA reel. I was thinking 7 weight as I'll be doing a bit of trout and bass (in Ontario), as well as Steelhead (the rod could be a little underpowered) in the Fall.

Hoping for your advice and thanking you in advance,

cheers.

Default Re: Beginner Equipment ...

Good choices for sure. If you live anywhere near a shop that deals in TFO, take a look at the TICRx and the Jim Teeny lines that TFO offers. nice rods that are very very well worth the money. About the same price range as the Cabelas, and I am certain that the shop would be more than glad to allow you to cast the rods prior to purchasing.

Fly Rookie,

Welcome to the site. I own the Cabelas LST 9'6" 7wt 4-piece with the CSR reel and SA Mastery WFF line, and have been very pleased with it. For its size, it's lightweight and casts like a dream. I have used it for bass and steelhead, and I highly recommend it. The 25 year warranty is a big plus, and at only $300 for the combo you'll have a few bucks to add accessories to your outfit or take a short trip to break it in. Good luck.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

If you are on a budget you might want to check out the Cabela's 5pc Stowaway rods, blanks can often be found on sale for under $40. It's a great rod for the price. Complete rods run about $130, you could easily assemble a kit for around $100.

+ Reply to Thread