+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furled leaders versus knot less leaders

Default Furled leaders versus knot less leaders

After reading DruLeeParsec Furled LeaderS Rock! post, I am interested to know more. Not every having tried furled leaders I would like to know do they turn over better than knotless leaders and why?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Normand Guest

Default Re: Furled leaders versus knot less leaders

dont forget that furled leaders are tapered, not one continuous diameter.

A furled leader tapers smoothly from butt to tippet. Additionally, a furled leader has no memory (at all). It is as limp as a dishrag. Consider, however, that furled leaders don?t kink. They have a superior shock absorption that in single-strand leaders is usually incorporated into class tippets (near the fly). Too, they turn over more smoothly than any step-down, knotted leader can. They land on the water like a butterfly.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly
    After reading DruLeeParsec Furled LeaderS Rock! post, I am interested to know more. Not every having tried furled leaders I would like to know do they turn over better than knotless leaders and why?

MOST DEFINITELY! I only use the ones made ot of Uni Thread and they are so much more supple. No memory at all like mono. When lifting the line it doesn't seem to spray like mono, but it will float for hours with one coating of Muclin.
    Plus by changing the thread color on the first section, you can make an in line indicator.

Normand Guest

I snagged a furled leader so I had to cut off all but two and a half feet of it. The longest part I had frayed somehow. There must have been a can or something in the water and the leader dragged over it. Anyway, I am still using that short length of furled leader with several feet of tippet (I know -rather unusual setup) on my panfish outfit and the thing still turns over beautifully.

I'm going to watch this thread closely....Right now I make my own mono leaders and occasionally use a knotless.

I have never tried a furled either!
    Might have to buy me one.

To everyone who may be interested in furled leaders....

You can purchase them for $12+ or you can contact Kathy Scott, like I did 2 years ago, and purchase her Furled Leader DVD. She has done a fantastic job of creating a DVD that makes making a furled leader so easy to understand. I will never use anything else but my own furled leaders. I did change her leader board measurments a little so that my furled leaders are 7 foot long to which I attach about 5 foot of flurorcarbon tippet. For tippet I use 4 or 6 pound test fluorocarbon and my 7 foot furled leaders will turn that over with no problems. You can spend 30 minutes of your time viewing her DVD and be making one in the next 30 minutes. Her DVD makes it so easy to understand that I could not wait until I got my leader board made. I went out on my back deck and used finish nails drove into the railing on my deck and made my first furled leader!! In my opinion, I strongly urge you to get her DVD rather than try to create a furled leader from what you find on the web sites. I viewed the web sites and could not understand the instructions that well and gave up. With her DVD, it is very easy to make one and after you understand her instructions, the ones on the web sites make more sense. My opinions only.

Furled leaders really do rock!!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I will add a second vote of confidence to WarrenP's recommendation for Kathy Scott's Furled Leader DVD. I posed some similar question regarding furled leaders last winter and Jack Hise was kind enough to front me a couple to try. They were, to say the least, an eye opening experience. I bought Kathy's DVD a couple of months back and while I've not found the time yet to construct the rather simple jig to make them, it's a project that's definitely on the short list for this winter. The DVD went a long way towards de-mystifying the construction process. Thanks to Jack (thanks again Jack!) I'm hooked. Thanks to Kathy I can now feed the habit.

To quote an old commercial "try it, you'll like it!"
    Joe Bertolini

Just a few statements....

What Warren says especially about the Kathy Scott DVD is very true.. but to expand your data base.. see link below...

Furled leader qualities will vary depending on what materials you use..see link below

There are floating and sinking furled leaders....

Even salt water fisherman use them....

It's fun to make furled leaders...don't get hung up on the jig....I've made two with stuff that was just laying around...flyandtie, making furled leaders is right up your alley.....

Here's a website that will have more info on furled leaders than you can imagine....and it's all business ...no BS babble that seems to be permeating some web sites

http://furledleaders.proboards26.com/.

I can say that Warren learned well from Kathy's DVD. He makes beautiful furled leaders.

+ Reply to Thread