Promptly at 10 am. the Bus from Eagle village pulled upto the pond. 24 teen age girls and 6 counselors unloaded and began assembling rods. They had been devided up into teams of 3, one fishing 2 observing/helping. They were to switch places after 2 fish.
They started with casting practice on some 3 acres of lawn adjoining the pond. It became apparent that after a 1/2 hour of this they were bored and wanted to fish so we turned them lose on the pond.
The biggest problem of the day was unraveling wind knots. These kids could get some doozies!! Some even included them and the rod!! This pretty much went away by lunch time as the girls were getting the hang of it.
At lunch time they hit the Hot dogs and Potato Salad like a swarm of locusts!! I had planned the food just right. When they were full there was not a dog left and maybe a scoop of Potato Salad!
After lunch it became apparent which ones wanted to fish and which ones just wanted to hang out in the shade. There is no and was no preassure on the kids to fish!! Just enjoy the outing. One of the 12 or 13 year olds saw my waders (I'd had the tube out for a spin) and wanted to know if she could put them on and have her picture taken. Very sincere young lady, she told me about fishing with her dad on Lake St. Clair but never flyfished or used waders. "Well, ok and why don't you grab a rod and wade out a little for the picture". (There is a small beach where we had lunch, a solid, smooth bottom) So here's this small girl in my size 10 waders which came to her armpits wading out for a photo. To my astonishment she just did it like it was second nature!! After everyone got pictures I asked her if she wanted to go ahead and fish. Next thing we knew she was slammin' Gills and one small bass!!
During this time there were Kids on all side of the pond hollering "I got one!!" and some one would run to get a picture. One of the counselors also caught her first ever fish and on a fly to boot!! The Director of Eagle Village also caught his first fish on a fly.
The counselors realy got into it too, I think they had as much fun as the kids. (Maybe more!!)
Back to my charge. She was doing great, learning to keep the back cast high because she would get hooked in the tall reeds behind her. I hate to admit it but I do have a soft place for kids, especially those that are trying. So out comes my 7' 3 wgt. "Here "Stanly" (when two kids have the same first name the youngest gets a nicname) try my rod, she was using a 9' 6 wgt. She goes on to slamin' Gills.
After about 1 hour she tires and comes in. Another 12 - 13 year old asks me if she can try. Now if we had been bobber & worm fishing she'd have been fine but she just couldn't seem to get the hang of, or want to.get the hang of flyfishing. She picked up my rod and Stanly let her know that was my rod and she could use it only if offered. Well, she waded out with a 9' 6 wgt. and with some coaching caught a couple of fish. She was still not very impressed with the sport but accepted it.
Getting long her aren't I?
Lets bring it to the big finish
At the end of the day the girls policed up the area, bagged the trash and took it to the disposal area. Saying thank you over and over.
Then Glen Weaver got them in a big circle and first asked if everyone had a good time, all said yes. He asked if everone caught fish, well about 5 hadn't. He asked for comments on the day. Stanly stepped forward and said. "I came today because I had to. I didn't want to flyfish, didn't realy like it. But Mr. Hise let me use his waders and helped me to catch a lot of fish, he even let my use his personal rod and I really liked it! I want to come back!". Then he asked if everyone wanted to come back. My second wader did not raise her hand. Then he asked "Who detested this day?". My second wader was the only one to raise a hand! When asked why she said "I hate the outdoors. When I leave Eagle Village I will not go out doors unless I have to!!".
He then asked who want's to come back? All hands went in the air!! He Looked at my second student and asked "I thought you hated it?". As I try to tell you her reply my throat is a little tight and the eyes are leaking abit. She said "To see Mister Jack again". those 2 simple statements said I made a difference that day!

------------------
I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 25 June 2005).]