OK, this is a really dangerous post. I could hold Jim Hatch and the rest of you guys responsible for a distinct lack of funds on my part for quite awhile....

I've pretty much decided a kayak is what I want for my 2nd fishing platform, in addition to my float tube.
-I want to able to float gentle rivers like my local N Platte in CO, and not be alarmed if water conditions get a little rough (I learned to kayak in High School).
-I want to be able to deal with windy conditions on high mtn lakes and rivers
-I want to be able to carry a pair of boats on my roof rack
- I like the maneuaverablilty and speed of kayaks compared to pontoons.
- I want to be able to stow a sleeping bag and tent for an overnighter, some big lakes near here that would be perfect for that. Or tow my float tube as a trailer LOL

So my question is -- the Outback drive system sounds great. I do like to troll lakes with a big streamer, at least ot locate fish, and to stay in position in the wind. But how much of a limitation is that drive system when floating a river? Can I easily remove it while on the water, or do i have to go to shore? How does the maneuverability and stability of the Outback compare to the other comparable kayaks (mirage, tarpon, etc.) that I am looking at? With drive system attached and with it removed? Can you get the Outb ack without the drive system, and how much extra does it cost?

Thanks folks......
DANBOB

-