+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie fishing kayak advice needed....Outback drive system?

Default Newbie fishing kayak advice needed....Outback drive system?

OK, this is a really dangerous post. I could hold Jim Hatch and the rest of you guys responsible for a distinct lack of funds on my part for quite awhile....

I've pretty much decided a kayak is what I want for my 2nd fishing platform, in addition to my float tube.
    -I want to able to float gentle rivers like my local N Platte in CO, and not be alarmed if water conditions get a little rough (I learned to kayak in High School).
    -I want to be able to deal with windy conditions on high mtn lakes and rivers
    -I want to be able to carry a pair of boats on my roof rack
    - I like the maneuaverablilty and speed of kayaks compared to pontoons.
    - I want to be able to stow a sleeping bag and tent for an overnighter, some big lakes near here that would be perfect for that. Or tow my float tube as a trailer LOL

So my question is -- the Outback drive system sounds great. I do like to troll lakes with a big streamer, at least ot locate fish, and to stay in position in the wind. But how much of a limitation is that drive system when floating a river? Can I easily remove it while on the water, or do i have to go to shore? How does the maneuverability and stability of the Outback compare to the other comparable kayaks (mirage, tarpon, etc.) that I am looking at? With drive system attached and with it removed? Can you get the Outb ack without the drive system, and how much extra does it cost?

Thanks folks......
    DANBOB

-

Default Re: Newbie fishing kayak advice needed....Outback drive system?

I'm a little confused - are you referring to the Hobie Outback with a Mirage (pedal) drive? This will do all you need and more. The drive can lie flat against the hull with one of the pedals pushed right forward for shallow water, or you could take it out on water but this would be a little flddly. I have one of these.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I've been fishing out of a Hobie Outback for a couple years now. I fish lakes, ponds, and gentle rivers. I'll offer my opinions based on my experience but ultimately you have to decide what works for you (and your wallet).

-I want to able to float gentle rivers like my local N Platte in CO, and not be alarmed if water conditions get a little rough (I learned to kayak in High School).
    The fins of the drive system fold almost flat against the hull when you push either pedal all the way forward. They are not flush and if you're scraping rocks in the rough conditions, you could damage the drive. They can be repaired but avoiding the situation would be better.

-I want to be able to deal with windy conditions on high mtn lakes and rivers
    Sit on top kayaks catch some wind. Bring an anchor or a drift sock. I highly recommend NOT anchoring directly off the side of any kayak...that's the tippiest point if you catch a wave from a passing boat, unexpected current, etc. I put a cam cleat an arm's reach behind my Outback's seat and attach the anchor rope there. The cam cleat is open on top (some aren't, look for one that is) so if I'm snagged and taking on water, I can grab the line and quickly release it completely from the kayak (more an issue for salt water or large lake fishing where waves and wind can be a bigger factor but a fast section of a river could also cause a problem otherwise).

Pedaling against the wind has never been a problem. Just don't try to sprint to overcome the wind for long periods of time.

-I want to be able to carry a pair of boats on my roof rack
    I carry an Outback and an earlier "Classic" Hobie on my vehicles...one is on J-hooks so it's at an angle and the other lies flat. I don't go through drive-throughs at fast food place like that.

Figure out the width of both boats, add a few inches so you can get tie-down lines around them, and buys bars that wide for your vehicle. Cross bars can be wider than your vehicle (though sometimes it looks funny).

- I like the maneuaverablilty and speed of kayaks compared to pontoons.
    I haven't tried pontoons so I can't debate this point.

- I want to be able to stow a sleeping bag and tent for an overnighter, some big lakes near here that would be perfect for that. Or tow my float tube as a trailer
    Anything you put inside may get wet. Use a dry bag if you care. The rudder lines go through the hull and leave tiny openings for water to enter when launching from the bank (when sliding the yak into the water, those holes might be below the water's surface briefly).

You won't get more than a wee bit of water but if you don't want it finding its way into your sleeping bag (and it will at the worst possible time), then put your sleeping bag, etc in a dry bag before putting it inside your kayak.

If you bungie it on top, use a dry bag. Spray, etc can cause stuff up top to get wet.

As for stability on the water...before I bought my first Outback, I took a kayak safety class locally using a rental Outback. I had to paddle during class so I'd learn the various paddle strokes and I had to practice self-rescue.

The self-rescue was easy in the Outback and I'm over 6' tall and roughly 240 lbs. Technique matters! (and technique isn't necessarily easy to explain online). Getting out of the Outback while on the water did not tip it over. Getting back in did not tip it over thanks in part to the technique the instructor taught and in part to the Outback have very solid secondary stability.

The primary stability will leave you wondering sometimes but learn to trust the secondary stability (and learn when NOT to trust it!).

Also, if you're zooming along, don't turn sharply unless you lean INTO the turn! Otherwise, you can turn sharply enough to dump yourself overboard (or to at least spook yourself into thinking you almost dumped).

The newer "Revolution" model from Hobie should be slightly faster. It's longer and narrower and for kayaks longer is faster and narrower is faster...so being both longer and narrower should make it noticeably faster. The Adventure model is much longer and much narrower (thus likely much faster). The Adventure is also likely to be less manueverable which may or may not matter for your fishing.

For all of the Hobies, if you're fly fishing, you'll need to add rod holders. The built in holders are for spin gear... There's a nice flat spot along the sides behind the seat where a Scotty flush mount rod holder would fit nicely...and probably enough room behind it for the cam cleat anchor holder...

Scotty's new "No. 444 Compact Threaded Deck Mount" looks ideal and is what I plan to put on my second Outback... Another option is to put the rod holders on a hard-sided ice chest and tuck the ice chest behind the seat (bungie it down if you do).

Good luck and enjoy what ever you end up with.

Thanks -- exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Rodgerole emailed me some links too, that cleared up my confusion about which Hobie is which (from Gringo's question)--and to the Texas Kayak Fisher's board, which I've been reading for a few hours now LOL.

The one repeating piece of advice from those folks down there seems to be -- rent as many different kayaks as possible to try them out. And, always consider a used Yak, you can get a nicer bpat for a good price. And, my favorite advice from them: Go buy a kayak, any kayak, and get to paddling! You'll want a better one in a couple years anyway LOL.

I also found that our local whitewater shop offers a sea kayak class, 1/2 day on a lake, 1/2 day on a river (the poudre river) -- so I'm going to sign up for that one, too -- and make sure to learn self-rescue.

Thanks again for the advice, folks -- DANBOB

There are a variety of good kayak fshing sites on the web. Some are local area focused (like the Texas one you mentioned or the one I use here... norcalkayakanglers.com). Google around a bit to see if maybe there's one closer to you already.

Also, be sure you read up a bit on safety gear. Your voice will wear out QUICKLY if you're overboard and can't get back in...but a Fox 40 rescue whistle will make noise that travels a LONG ways. Many of the fishing sites have lists of safety gear that you can modify based on where you fish, if you're solo or with buddies, weather conditions, etc.

Welcome to the fun.

There is a lot of info out there, and it seems you are well on the right track with what you are doing. I found this site of enormous benefit to me, it might be worth a look for you re different yaks etc and setups. Aussie of course.

www.akff.net

Good luck
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread