+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Books... What 's a must read?

FYI: there are also a host of other books for warmwater fly fishing. I wouldn't suggest limiting your horizons to trout, just one of many species worthy of worship. JGW

Fly Tying and Fly Fishing for Bass and Panfish by Tom Nixon

Sports Fish of Fresh Water by Vic Dunaway

Mike B

Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has a new book but I can't remember the name of it. I have it and it's awesome.

I enjoyed Pavlov's trout, by Paul Quinnett.

Also: Hemingway on Fishing with intro by Nick Lyons; Flyfishing the 41st by James Prosek. There are not "how-to" books but for me capture a spirit and outlook toward fishing. learner

seamus,

I'm sure there are excellent books that may/have been recommended. However, it would help, at least this respondant, to know whether you are looking for a technical book, a book that will raise your interest, a regional type book, a book about casting, a book about history, etc.?
    I, and others, might be able to recommend a title or two more appropriate to your needs if we knew what those needs were.

Allan

I am interested in technical books regarding casting and the basics on getting started fly fishing. Basically what I need is getting from spin fishing to fly fishing.

Thanks

Jim

I second the Joe Brooks recommendation.
    George

Clive Schaupmeyer wrote the weekly " Our Man in Canada Series for FAOL, for the first few years of the weekly publication, the articles can be found in the archives of "Our Man in Canada".

Lot of neat stuff to read and learn about fly fishing. You can also still get Clive's Book, 'Essential Guide to Fly-Fishing'. I have a copy of Clive's book, and it is very useful.

Clive Schaupmeyer is an outdoor writer and photographer. He is the author of The Essential Guide to Fly-Fishing, a 288-page book for novice and intermediate fly anglers. His photo of a boy fishing was judged the best outdoor picture of 1996 published by a member of the Outdoor Writers of Canada. He fly-fishes for trout in Alberta's foothill and mountain streams and for pike near his home in Brooks, Alberta. For information on where to find, or how to get a copy of Clive's book, you can contact Clive at [email:a5e50]clives@shaw.ca[/email:a5e50]

Clives Webpage is [url=http://members.shaw.ca/clives/Flyfish.html:a5e50]http://members.shaw.ca/clives/Flyfish.html[/url:a5e50]

~ Parnelli

Down in the meadow in a little bitty pool
    Swam three little fishies and a mama fishie too
    "Swim" said the mama fishie, "Swim if you can"
    And they swam and they swam all over the dam

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 15 June 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 15 June 2005).]

The book I most often recommend to relatively new fishers is Gary borgers book titled Presentations. It pretty much covers the whole thing from tying up leaders to reading water, etc. Older fly fishing literature that I'm partial too are the books by Robert Travis . His book "Danny and the Boys" is a truly histarical collection of short stories.

I am interested in technical books regarding casting and the basics on getting started fly fishing. Basically what I need is getting from spin fishing to fly fishing.
    I know this is not what you have asked for, but I would recommend that you find someone to give you a few casting lessons. This will progress you further and faster than any book or video will.

Mike B

+ Reply to Thread