+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 11 wt reel for a 12wt rod?

Default 11 wt reel for a 12wt rod?

I just got a great deal on a new Lamson Litespeed #4 Reel (10/11 wt). I am trying to build my saltwater arsenal up and was hoping to add a 12 wt rod to this mix. Will this reel be enough for a 12wt rod. I woud use gel-spun backing so I could acheive aroung 300yds of backing. I already have an 8wt and 10wt outfit. Or should I use this reel on a 9wt rod. Any feedback would be truly appreciated.

Default Re: 11 wt reel for a 12wt rod?

Here's what happened when I tried something like that edooley. I put a Lamson 3.5 on a 9 ft 9wt LL Bean 'Lite Line' salt rod and it was very out of balance, lightening the feel in the tip. Great for carrying, not great for casting. I recently got a FLO 456 and tried it on the 9wt. and with backing, line, leader and fly attached, rod assembled and strung, it balanced on the 12th cork ring (closest to the tip) of a 14 ring grip. That's right where I like the balance point. I hope you gain something useful from this.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

If you are comfortable with the reel and rod use it. Manufacturer's ratings for their reels are just guides. I ignore these and pay more attention to dimensions and weight. For me, I don't find a few ounces difference in weight makes a difference in casting, especially since heavy weight rods are not typically cast all day, but rather used for a small number of shots.

I use 8-9 wt reels on 10wt rods, 10wt reels on 7 or 8wt rods, 12-13 wt reels on 10 rods, 9wt reels on 6wt rods, 11wt reels on 12 wt rods, 5wt reels on 7wt rods, etc.

Thank you very much for the responses...I will take the reel with me as I begin my rod puchase trek to see how it feels on each rod that is tested. I am fortunate to have several flyfishing shops located very close to me so I can try this out

I just hope none of the shops object to me bringing in my new reel to try out there rods.

You can always add some weight into the butt off the rod or on the reel itself if you don't like the way it feels.

A little bit of lead is a lot cheaper than a new reel.
    Your hooks sharp????

In my quest for a 12 wt rod...Does the fighting grip that is found on some 12wt rods worth having or is it a hinderance more than anything else. Any comments would be helpful and thank you in advance.

Yes edooley, you want the 'fighting butt' as they're called. Since you're looking at 12 wts., which suggests you'll be going after large fish. You might be able to imagine that having the extra leverage might be helpful if you get into something over 15 lbs. let's say. My 9wt. has a fighting butt and I use it all the time. They'll explain it to you at your fly shops if you ask them and maybe better than I have, but overall, I'd want the FB on 8wts. maybe even 7 wts. and up. I spoke with a guide service in AK and they modify 4wts. to accept FB's !

One thing you don't want to do while attached to a larger fish is to reach up the rod above the main grip to apply more pressure. This is a good way to snap an expensive fly rod in two. Hope some of this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

MontanaMoose thank you for your response! The fighting grip I am referring to is the applied piece of cork that is installed above the handle. However you may have answered my question by your statement - "One thing you don't want to do while attached to a larger fish is to reach up the rod above the main grip to apply more pressure". A fighting butt is something I have on all my rods from 6wt up... Gotta have them! Again, Thank you for your response!

Oh, ok edooley, that grip is referred to as a 'foregrip' spelling may be lacking. That grip is for that purpose and the configuration of the blank and the fact that the pressure of your four fingers on that grip would be less localized makes it ok to reach there and put pressure on the big 'uns ! I think that's how the pros would call it out anyway ! Later friend !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

??????????????????

A weight for a fly reel baffles me. It is like saying a bait casting or spinning reel is for 3/4 ounce lures. Countless reels would do the job. Weight is the rod's and line's job.

Are we overanalizing here? If it holds the line and enough backing and has whatever drag properties you need, it is good. Balance is outside the equation IMHO since a reel manufacturer has no way of being sure what the parameters of the rod you will use it on will be. Will it balance on a boo, a fiberglass, or a graphite??? IM3 or IM10? IMHO balance is a cocktail hour topic, though I have a 9 wt. rod with a big old 1500 series Medalist that I believe balances perfectly between my index and middle finger.

On the other hand, mixing an 11 wt reel with a 12 wt rod rod would be a disaster. Send the reel to me immediately and I will give it agood home. You will never have to worry about it again.
    Bear742

+ Reply to Thread