+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Free, Unusual, or Cheap Tying Material Thread

Default Free, Unusual, or Cheap Tying Material Thread

As my material inventory increases and my money decreases, I am finding myself looking for other ways to get tying material.
    I just went out to the local fly shop and bought a section of fuzzy tying foam, only to get it home and find it was a square of tan velour blanket material? For the price I paid for a six by six square, I?m sure I could have gone to Walmart and bought a square yard in the cloth department.
    Anyways, here some other things I have found:
    The nylon yarn at Walmart costs 25 cent for ten yards, come in a dozen colors, and looks just like Antron yarn that costs much more for much less yarn.
    The 5-Minute clear epoxy that sells for $5.00 at fly shops is $1.97 at you-know-where, same brand, same size.
    Kroger supermarket is selling the thin metallic Flashabou right now in caddis green, blue, and shrimp pink. They?re disguising it as Easter basket grass and selling it for $1.50 in a bag large enough to cost over twenty dollars at your local fly shop.
    I work doing service in several factories around the state. Each factory has ear plug stations. The foam ear plugs are connected with vinyl tubing in cicada orange, blue, red, or catalpa worm yellow/green.

I?m sure we can all think of things like this. Maybe you could share your ideas.
    Alan

Blog Entries

Cut long thin strips off of zip lock bags for three dimensional looking bodies. You can also use the thicker strips of the zipper part wrapped around the hook they make great looking ribs.

I made some Doc Spratleys out of hair I got off the floor when my buddy Dan got his hair cut.
    We call them Dan Spratleys and they work better than the Spratleys we made out of feathers.

Dryer lint.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I will buy some of the brighter colors from walmart. They seem to tie fine and are very cheap. I don't see any noticable difference so if you need some easy to get, inexpensive thread, that's where I would go.
    BC

4. Default

Alan,
    A lot of fly tying materials were not originally meant for fly tying. Innovative tyers found new materials and sometimes new patterns to use them on. Examples include Chadwicks 477 yarn, copper wire, Antron (carpet fiber), furry foam (Vellux blanket), etc.

Of course these materials can still be found (other than the Chadwicks) from their original sources. Once you start doing this, you have reached level one. This merely saves you money as a benefit of knowing some fly tying history.

If you realize that fly recipies are not burned into rock tablets, and you start substituting/altering recipies with new materials then you have reached level two. This can be a fun and interesting way to discovery better fish catchers.

Once you have an epiphany and realize that new materials can open the way to new recipies, then that is level three and you are walking in the footsteps of the fly tying innovators.

Is there a level four? Yes... at that level, you can catch plenty of fish on a bare hook

I guess I would consider myself in the beginning stages of level 2 although if I am not careful my wife will take me straight to level DEAD. I used a baggy of really good looking yellow brownish hair I found on the kitchen table to tie up a couple dozen nymphs this stuff was amazing and i cussed myself for taking it out of it's original packaging it was very fine yet kinda stiff and soft at the same time. Come to find out it was what was left from my sons first haircut so instead of a bag of hair in his baby book he now has a wonderful fly stuck in a small piece of cork. I can't wait for him to need another haircut I am running low on Kenny nymphs. Oh and dog hair works very well, I brush my labs almost weekly just for this reason , I have both yellow and black and am considering getting a chocolate so I can expand my tying a bit more.
    Steve

An ostrich feather duster has a bunch of ostrich feathers in it for $5.

A cheap 2 wire extension cord has all the ribbing wire you will need for many years.

A walk around the city park lake will get you a lot of duck and goose feathers.

Find where the buzzards in your area roost and you will have some great feathers, found on the ground,for thorax covers and biots.

Bungee cords will have a life time supply of rubber leg material.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Road Kill - for Squirrel tail
    Hunters for duck feathers and deer

jed

If you ever have the fortune, (or misfortune depending on your opinion of my old home town), to visit NYC on a weekday with time to kill; take a walk through the side streets of the Garment District. I'm talking from 40th Street to Penn Station between 8th & 7th Avenues.

In the shops at street level you can find just about every imaginable kind of material used to make everything you will see in your favorite clothing store.

I used to get LOTS of free samples.

While I used to get mine from the furriers in the Fur District below Penn Station; a visit to your local furrier can yield a TON of scraps if you can get by the scruffy exterior of a guy that spends his whole day making little strips of fur into big strips of fur. I have a lifetime supply of fox, beaver, muskrat, raccoon, mink, and even some seal & chinchilla!

Indian Feathers (for kids Indian headdress and other art projects) are nothing more than dyed matched duck quills in various colors to use for quill section wet fly wings. Loctite CA Superglue in the "Easy Brush" bottle is cheaper than Zap-A-Gap. Craft beading wire is fine wire used for ribbing. Black plastic garbage bag strips instead of Thin Skin. Iridescent (pearl) gift wrap paper for overbodies on Crease Flies and for flashback when cut into strips (or Christmas tree tinsel). I just went to a JoAnn superstore and got about six yards of iridescent pearl mylar braid tubing there for $1.19 a yard in addition to more Darice shag (long) craft fur in black and white, and a skein of white Boa yarn. I already get the hanks (10 yards) of Needloft nylon (plastic canvas) yarn wherever I can find it. Bungee cords for rubber legs. I guess I could go on and on if I could recall all of the same materials I use for tying that I get from other sources that are cheaper .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Good thread, and some great suggestions above.

I've picked up abandoned lobster floats on the beach and used a length of copper pipe to bunch out popper bodies.

I also made up a drying wheel for epoxy flies from a little battery (2 C batteries) operated motor thing for spinning a christmas santa decoration for about $5.00 --- I've seen the sorta the same thing mounted on a board in some fly catalogs for $80.00 (minus the santa).

Silca packets that come in with electronics were suggested on another thread for dropping in fly boxes to absorb moisture which sounds like a good idea.

More random musings: Plastic wrap for midge wings, tin foil under epoxy, hackle guards made from the lid of a coffee cup, deerhair packing tools made from bic pens with the cartridege removed, jar lids for mixing up epoxy, metal form the top of wine bottles to shape zonker bodies, plastic bag from grocery store with one handle over the vise to collect loose bits.

Biggest savings though for me has been tying up comparaduns and saving on hackle.

Easter is coming... time to stock up on stuff.

peregrines

+ Reply to Thread