+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cabela's rod's

Have a Three Forks 7'6" 3 weight 3piece for five or more years. It is the rod that stays in my truck all the time. I got it for 20 bucks because they had to reglue a bunch of handles back on. It works great!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Ray, I find it interesting that based simply on your assessment that the resale price of Cabelas rods is "barely half" of retail that the rods are "junk". I personally do not buy rods based on their resale value. I plan on keeping rods. I have found Cabelas rods, and other merchandise in general, to be very good values. If we base our assessment of things solely on the resale value, then most American cars are, in your judegement,...junk.

Of course I guess we can simply glean a more realistic evaluation of Cabelas rods from all the other positive posts from owners in this thread to the one negative post from...let me guess....one who does not own a Cabelas rod.

hunterdau2,
    Cant' tell you anything specific about the PT series of Cabela rods but I've had others that were wonderful! I have the 5 section 7 1/2 ft. four wt that is almost the equal of my Sage 7'9" 4 wt LL series rod (not quite , but close). I've also purchased at least half a dozen 7 & 1/2 ft 3 wt Three Forks set ups to give to friends/new fly folks. They're great and universally loved. Low price does NOT mean second class quality. The Cabela tackle is excellent! And if you don't like what you receive, their return policy is also superb. They'll take good care of you.
    Don't like it? Send it back!
    Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

4. Default

Thanks guy's I have an older cabela's rod i've used for steelhead that still works great. The reason i'm looking at this rod is for trout with small flies and light tippet's and want something a little forgiving. Like i said above i've mostly flyfished for steelhead with a 7wt so have little experience with the small stuff.
    Another question i have is what would you reccomend for a line a weight forward or a double taper also how well will a sinking tip work with this light setup?

On my 3wt PT I have been using the cabelas prestige double taper fly line. Been using it for about 2 seasons and it has held up nice.

Weight forward vs Double taper? I tend to like the DT more, but it is really personal preference I think.

I use a DT3 with mine, generally I am not making longs casts and I find a DT does all I require. I have also used it for dry fly, and as my casting style is on the whole slow, a very suitable combination.
    Note:- I have quite a few rods, Orvis, Hardy and a few others, all much more expensive rods, which I am quite happy with. I did not buy any for resale value.
    I bought the Cabelas wt3 because it was the only one I had seen that fitted my requirements. I am not sorry I did.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

As long as you get any of those lines rated for the rod ...they should work fine...personally for what you describe I'd get a DT...

I will mention... I have both the Rio Multi-tip set and the Cabela's Prestige Multi -tip set and I find the Rio to be better...of course the prices are different too...no experience comparing the other types of Prestige lines...

8. Default TFO guarentee

I have both the TFO and Cabela's. I like my TFO but don't let the guarantee fool you. They have a $25.00 no questions asked guarantee. Plus it costs you shipping. They normally replace the broken section. I had one break twice. The second time they didn't charge me and replaced the whole rod. Can't complain all it cost was the shipping.

I've broken Cabela's also. They gave me an over the counter return, no problems. I live fairly close so I don't have to ship it.

Personally I think you have to try them out and decide which one fits your budget and feel.

Satchel, I did not base my response solely on resale value, read my post again, I said it was just 1 example. Did you ever wonder why NO guides or Pros use them???? Have you ever seen a single Cabela's rod at an ACA tournament?? How about a casting demo at a flyshow, ever seen a Pro use one???? Wonder why???? There's a reason, if they were so great they would all use and endorse them.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I've got the 8' 3wt. and it's a nice little rod. It's landed a lot of good sized fish for me and never gave me any problems. It's not in the class of a Sage or Winston, but still pretty nice.

+ Reply to Thread