+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worth restoring South Bend #47 9' Bamboo?

Default Worth restoring South Bend #47 9' Bamboo?

A buddy of mine has a South Bend #47 9' 3 pc. with an extra tip. He wants 40 bucks for it. Half of the guide and one male ferrel needs to be repaired. So I need some help if it is worth it. I loved the bamboo rod my buddy let me use one time and have been thinking HARD about taking my fly fishing to the next level. I have built 5 rods and maybe I can do this myself? I need all the help I can get. Later.

Hey Flyster 101,
    $40 dollars is a good buy even on Ebay. But if he's a buddy, maybe you can swap something with him that he wants of yours (FF/not) and use that $40 to buy some guides, and a ferrule set. Both of you will come out ahead without spending a buck. Yes, I'm cheap.
    You'll still need some thread- silk prefered but you can substitute nylon. Since you've built a couple rods already, you should have no problem unless you want to strip the varnish and redo the boo which too is not all that hard. Questions of "how-ta-do" on this board will get ya a load of quality answers.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default rebuild?

Flyster101, Go for it! The first one might be a little rough, but keep after it youll get better at it. Pull up Sweetgrass Rods web site. They have a fish story where he was fishing with Boo. One of the flats near tip split. He wrapped it tight with tippet mono and kept on fishing. The point? You cant do that with graphite. Yes I have graphite but prefer Boo. Keep us posted

+ Reply to Thread