+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Strike Indicators

Default Looking for Strike Indicators

Hey, it's been awhile since I've been here; being a full time student has its drawbacks.

I went fishing the other day and noticed I was running low on strike indicators. I only use the toothpick-in-foam (or the rubber tube-in-foam variety) if I'm not using a dry fly as my indicator. I saw a pack of like 500 or 1000 on the internet selling for like $10 or $20 awhile back. (I think I found the link to the site on this site somewhere) I hate buying these by 3's or 6's, because I can never seem to have enough of them. I prefer the smallest, round, green type of these indicators. (I know they sell them at a shop up near Lake Taneycomo.) It doesn't matter if they have slits cut in them or not, because I just cut my own slits in them if the don't have them using a tool I made out of a dowel rod and a coping saw blade.
    Just wondering if anyone buys them large amounts or has heard of such a thing. If so, please post a link.

Thanks
    Hydlide

I use this sometimes:

http://laflyfish.com/flies/vosi.php
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Kahuna sent me some of those VOSI. I really like them for crappie but find that they are too big for a trout rig. If you want a simple, inexpensive indicator you might want to try a corky. Just slide it on your line and anchor it with a toothpick. They come in various sizes and colors.

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

For those of us who have jumped on the Dremel Bug bandwagon, you can make a really effective strike indicator from foam with your dremel lathe.

Use the color of your choice, shape it to your specs, then thread a piece of round rubber or a rubberband through the center hole, leaving a small loop protruding from the end. Stretch and add some CA glue to the other end, and let it pull back into the hole. Clip it off, and you are done.

These loop onto the leader just like the poly yarn indicators, float like the bobbers they are, and if you keep them cylindrical, they can give you information about your drift.

I've made several hundred of these for guides on the San Juan in New Mexico, and they seem to be working quite well.

Just another option.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

FeatherCraft has the styro with the rubber in the middle. 6pack for $4.95. Has anyone tried the Frog Hair ones?

6. Default

Here's a link to "rig floats":
    http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...rig_floats.htm
    These are what I prefer. I use an elastic to instead of a wooden peg/toothpick since the peg can absorb water.

You need directional indication in a "strike indicator" since fish don't necessarily "pull".

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    FeatherCraft has the styro with the rubber in the middle. 6pack for $4.95. Has anyone tried the Frog Hair ones?
    If you tie your own leaders, the Frog Hair indicators won't work.

I like the Micro Ball indicators. Easily adjustable, work with both extruded and hand-tied leaders. Come in a range of sizes.

The ends of the rubber band coming out of the indicator will let you know if you're on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    If you tie your own leaders, the Frog Hair indicators won't work.

I like the Micro Ball indicators. Easily adjustable, work with both extruded and hand-tied leaders. Come in a range of sizes.

The ends of the rubber band coming out of the indicator will let you know if you're on the bottom.

I agree on the Micro indicators. I use very small flies the majority of the time and I like that sensetivity(s/p)

Quote Originally Posted by "Fly Goddess

I agree on the Micro indicators. I use very small flies the majority of the time and I like that sensetivity(s/p)
    The most sensitive indicator I have ever used was a small balloon. Last summer, a guide I was fishing with asked me if I'd be willing to experiment. The sensitivity really was amazing, we had to have seen every little bump and snag on the bottom.

Casting the rig from a drift boat was OK, but I'm not sure I'd like try it all day if I were wading.

Also, we tied the leader in an overhand knot around the end of the balloon. This would really kink up the leader if we had to adjust the indicator for increasing or decreasing depth.

For trout fishing I usually use either the Skip's Turn On's or the Li'l Corkies. For steelhead I usually use the smaller Thill floats. In very clear water, i'll use regular cork, with a tooth pick. It doesn't seem to put the fish down like the bright indicators do.

+ Reply to Thread