+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furled Leaders

Default Furled Leaders

Just picked up some furled leaders on e-bay the other day and I've never used one before. These are 5 1/2 feet long and made for a 2 wt rod. My question is what size tippet should I use and how long? Do I just tie directly to the leader or place a short piece of line between leader and tippet? Do I have to water proof the furled leader and if so how often?

I use all sizes of tippets on mine, but the leaders I furl are of a pretty good all-round variety. I usually use about 5 feet of tippet and taper the tippet itself down a size or two.

four or five feet is what I use. I really like how the furled leader turns over.

hoboflyfisher;
    I've never heard of a furled leader made for a specific rod wt.?! Can you tell us what it is made of? I make furled leaders and this is an area I'd like to have more information on.
    Thanks for any help.

The leader is made from Uni thread in sz. 6, light yellow in color and tapered correctly to the weight of the rod it is used on. I don't know much about them but plan to learn. I know they last longer than a regular leader and can last a couple of seasons if taken care of. I'm just trying to find out how to take care of them. I'll be using it for Bluegill, Crappie, and White Bass.
    Hobo

Hobo;
    Let it dry completly before storing it. They are subject to milldew

Yes Jack I will allow the furled leader to dry before storage. Thanks.
    Hobo

Default Re: Furled Leaders

I love furled leaders. I mainly use wet flies so I ue NO WATERPROOFING. Size of tippet is the same as you would use for a regular leader. It all depends on the leader size.
    KAhuna

Just picked up some furled leaders on e-bay the other day and I've never used one before. These are 5 1/2 feet long and made for a 2 wt rod. My question is what size tippet should I use and how long? Do I just tie directly to the leader or place a short piece of line between leader and tippet? Do I have to water proof the furled leader and if so how often?

Hobo;
    If the 6/0 Uni thread leader is a 10/8/6 taper it will be about a 12 lb. leader. A 10/8/6 formula is about 3 times the break strength of the thread.
    I'm about to do some in 4# Berkley "Vanish" Flourocarbon. 6.5 foot 10/8/6 taper. These should sink well and turn over a large fly on 5 foot of 4X tippit.

Jack just got back in town today so I'm sorry about not getting to read your post sooner. I have no idea what taper it is but the man who sold it to me has made it for light weight tippets 2 lbs. thru 6 lbs. tippets. I purchased these for my Christmas gift Santa is bringing me, a 2 wt rod and reel combo.
    Shh!, don't let on I know about the gift. Now all I need is a nice 8 wt. outfit and I'm all set. I have a birthday in March hmmm.
    Hobo

+ Reply to Thread