+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does My Floating Fly Line Sink?

Default Why Does My Floating Fly Line Sink?

I keep my line cleaned and dressed. I store it off of the reels in loose coils. I even add a little Gink on ocaision. So why does my floating fly line which is comparatively the most expensive part of my fly fishing outfit sink whether I'm fishing drys or nymphs?

Be glad to try to help, but need a whole lot more info. Can you describe the conditions? Lakes, rivers, upstream, draw us a picture.

Default Re: Why Does My Floating Fly Line Sink?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hunsicker

I keep my line cleaned and dressed. I store it off of the reels in loose coils. I even add a little Gink on ocaision. So why does my floating fly line which is comparatively the most expensive part of my fly fishing outfit sink whether I'm fishing drys or nymphs?

Personally, every floating line I have ever tried will sink a little at one point or another.
    I love fishing SYLK and of course you have read posts that the tip sinks. I cured that by buying the Hi-Flote leaders and connecting it to the end of the Sylk in a 4" to 6" butt section.....FLOATS NOW!

your line is dirty &/or water is seeping into the knot area to your tippet....
    clean your line... warm water & dish SOAP NOT DETERGENT!!!
    & re-tie your leader.
    it'll float for a while...
    then do it again when it starts to sink again.
    Later,
    Peter

If your line is clean and cared for as you say; as JC said, more info is needed.

My Rio lines float great so it could be a brand/type issue too.

Whenever I see or hear the word Gink I think Sink...wasn't their original product to sink?????....are you sure you have the correct product?...I hesitated bringing this up for fear you would think I'm talking down...I'm not...it's just hard to tell where people are coming from and if it happened to be that...what a simple solution

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Whenever I see or hear the word Gink I think Sink...wasn't their original product to sink?????....are you sure you have the correct product?...I hesitated bringing this up for fear you would think I'm talking down...I'm not...it's just hard to tell where people are coming from and if it happened to be that...what a simple solution

Gink is a floatant Ducksterman, has been for years. Just like Aqual.
    You must be thinking ZINK. That is to sink.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Gink is a floatant Ducksterman, has been for years. Just like Aqual.
    You must be thinking ZINK. That is to sink.
    XINK!!!
    http://www.gink.com/GG-Menu-StreamSideProducts.html

Default Re: Why Does My Floating Fly Line Sink?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hunsicker

I just re-read your post to see that you are using a fly floatant (Gherke's Gink) as a line dressing ... the two are not for the same purpose. the Gink, if it hasn't ruined your fly line, is probably picking up dirt like gum on a floor (in a house with a dog).
    Try cleaning your line, drying your line then using a fly line dressing recommended by the fly line manufacturer... some suggest nothing but cleaning others have their own brand... or mucilin or Loon's Aquel or one of the other MANY types/brands of line dressing.
    BTW, hold old is this line???? Have you checked it for cracking? I had a Airflo that went south on me in weeks... poor product (years ago).
    Later,
    Peter

Yep, you've both got me...hhmmmm I never picked up on that

+ Reply to Thread