+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line dressing

Default Fly line dressing

One of my fishing buddies claims that RainX can be used as fly line dressing. I washed my line today as the Buffalo area creaks and streams are blown out yet again. Have you used this and what was the result?

If you have another home remedy, what is it? Or should I use fly line dressing for this?

Thanks,
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

I have used Armour All and simular products on fly lines. I didnt have a bad experience with it but on the advise of others I quit.
    I now buy stuff made to dress fly lines.
    The last I bought was a 3M product that renders the line slicker'n hot snot on a glass door knob.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Armor All for fly line dressing? You wont catch me using that stuff, fly lines are to expensive to experiment. You probably paid 60 dollars for your fly line, whats another 5 for the proper dressing to put on it?

Most fly lines are so good that you can't hardly hurt them no matter what you put on them. Most stuff just washes off soon.

5. Default

Loon Line Speed every so often. Wash off with water and small amount of soap after each use. OK, almost after each use.

One of our sponsors here offers a very good fly line treatment. Check out Dot Man's Fly Reel Dots for "ZipCast"!
    Which reminds me It's time to clean all my lines before storing them for the winter!!

I use Ron Kusse's line dressing.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Most fly lines are so good that you can't hardly hurt them no matter what you put on them. Most stuff just washes off soon.
    In the spirit of this post I've gone to using a soap [cleaner] called Job Master from Costco [and wherever] It is a general cleaner that when we've used around the house seemed to leave a nice little slick feeling after using.

SOooooo...I figured why not use it to clean the line as one would for any soap and if it's a little slicker for awhile ....great...

My experience hasn't been long....

I use Rio lines almost exclusively and as per their recommendation I apply a LIGHT coating of PooGoo on my lines after cleaning with PLAIN soap and water.

I do my line maintenence after each use and my lines float like a cork all day. I also apply a light coat of PooGoo on my braided and furled leaders and they also float great all day.

Armor All protectant and I've applied it to all sorts of fly lines with no ill effects. It even saved a line that was so rough and wouldn't shoot at all. I've heard a product called Son of a Gun works even better. Can't wait till my 8 oz. jug of Armor All runs out to try the SoaG. Looking at Ron Kusse line cleaner though.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread