+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody Know? South Bend # 357 - 8'6" Dry Fly Bamboo

Default Anybody Know? South Bend # 357 - 8'6" Dry Fly Bamboo

Hi, I purchased a South Bend #357 in VG condition and was hoping I could get some information on this rod. It's got a metal reel seat and an extra tip. It's a three peice and in really nice shape. Anybody have any history on these. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Default SB 357

From Fishnbanjo's web site...
    Model 57/357 8?' Singlebuilt $250

Bass/Dry Fly 9' Singlebuilt $225

9?' Singlebuilt $200

Banjo's site is a constant source of information on bamboo flyrods. On this forum, he goes by October wood I believe it is.

Default Bamboo

I'm new to this whole bamboo thing so sorry if my questions seem dumb What does this information mean. Is the $250 value on and 8'6" meaning an excellent rod would sell for about 250? Also, what does Singlebuilt mean? Thanks

well, the value is an extimated value based on a mint condition rod, and I qm not quite sure where he gets that information from. but if banjo say it, I believe it. He has forgotten more about bamboo than most of us know.

The Single built refers to the type of construction of the rod. In the very early years, one of the founders of company, (actually a financial investor that later became a "rodmaker") made omse heavy duty rod for Salmon fishing, and s I understand it, they were double laminated to give them superior strength. The Cross Double builts are still fairly highly sought after in the collection circles. A Singlebuilt, would represent a term meaning a rod that is laminate from 6 strips in each section. I would actually like to see a much more detailed explanation on the double built rods myself.

And as far as dumb questions go, there are no dumb questions when it coms to the lovely reed...

Default Bamboo

Thanks, I can already tell I'm going to become a Boo Addict. This is not good I have never fished with one but this next time out I will be fishing with this one. I look forward to feeling what a Natural product feels like.

Default south bend

brhokla, Once you take this rod out and start too put er through the paces, there will be no turning back. I suggest you send it out here so it will no longer be a temptation Seriously, welcome to the madness we fondly call"Boo Fever"

+ Reply to Thread