CDC AND PEARL PUPA
This is my version of a caddis pupa. I call it the CDC and Pearl Pupa.
1. Start with a bead head on a caddis or scud hook. This is 2mm black bead on a #16 TMC 2487BL hook
2. Tie in Small clear vinyl D rib and a piece of Opal Mirage tinsel
3. Wrap the tinsel forwards first
4. Followed by the D rib, make sure the D is up!
5. Dub a thick thorax leaving a little room behind the bead
6. Tie in a CDC feather by the tip. I’m not sure this is a true CDC feather. I pull them off the ducks backside around the oiler puffs that are the true CDC feathers.
7. Wrap the CDC Feather like a soft hackle, 2-3 wraps. Break off the tips to length rather than cut them with scissors. Add another very small bit of dubbing to help sweep the CDC back.
8. The opal under the D-rib makes a very good imitation of an emerging pupa
As usual this is probably just another variation of a fly that a dozen other people have come up with.
For more great info, check out:
Fly Tying Terms
Beginning Fly Tying | Intermediate Fly Tying | Advanced Fly Tying.
Comment on this article
Archive of Fly Of The Week