CENTRAL WASHINGTON FISH-IN 2011
(Linemender Grins and Fins Gathering)
This Fish-In was originally organized by "Linemender" - Cary Morlan (above - right) and (above - left) Steve Zweber - "Z".
|Note From 'Z'|
| It's that time of year again, time to make plans for a spring gathering and get together. My good friend Cary and I sponsored the CWFI for a few years.
Saddly Line passed away this last year, I hope to carry on this Fish In in his memory.
With that said, I am proud to anounce the renaming of the Central Washington Fish In to the..
Linemender Grins and Fins Gathering.
We will be getting together from May 19th thru May 22nd this year. Fishing the Ford, and local lakes. Pot luck dinner on Saturday evening...
I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends this year!
EVERYONE is welcome, if you read FAOL, you're invited!
Here's the place - The Oasis Park in Ephrata, Washington - great park owned and operated by the city.
There are no fees, and no charges for this Fish-In. You are responsible for your own reservations (recommended at the Oasis Camp Ground and motel) food, transportation and license. Oasis has reserved an area just for the FAOL people in the past, so when you make your reservation make sure you tell them you are part of the FAOL group. (It's more fun if everyone is in the same area.) The toll-free reservation phone number for Oasis is: 877-754-5102.
If you'd like to fish one of the "pot hole lakes" for Lahotan trout or panfish, you can fish successfully from shore, or bring your PFD!
Jonathan's (ffb) recommended flies
- San Gabriel Fly sz.10-12.
- Foam Spider sz. 12
- Assorted panfish sized poppers
- Nursery Hopper: (Email ffb email@example.com for recipe and picture).
- Wooly buggers sz.10-14
- Marabou Miss in chartreuse, and also fuschia/hot-pink: (especially good for crappie).
- Soft hackles such as Partridge and Orange sz.10-12.
Here is a partial list of flies for Rocky Ford Creek from "Z"
- Streamers: woolly buggers in black, olive, white in sizes from 8 to 12 (weighted with a bead head).
- Nymphs: scuds, olive, tan or orange in sizes 12 to 16.
- Mayfly nymphs: - just about any will do, have a range of colors and sizes down to 20.
- Brassies: - red or brass, down to 16.
- Drys: I prefer standard mayfly patterns, sizes 14 to 20 parachute and standard tie. Have some that are light (pmd's ect) and some dark (adams ect). Check out the F-100 (a past Fly of the Week that Linemender ties). JC and LF had good result with a gray Wally Wing, also in the Fly of the Week Archives.
I do most of my fishing on the Ford with drys, and typically find a fish that is working the surface and float the fly over it. Some days an Adams works well, other times it's something else. I have noticed they prefer thin bodies and sparse hackle. ~ "Z"
Linemender (Cary Morlan's) suggestions for flies for 'the ford'
- Griffiths Gnats
- Spinner patterns in black, cream, and rust
- And my new favorite is a Cream Spinner I received from Skilled Fisherman in a midge swap.
- I will also use emergers but I dress them to fish in the film.
The regulations have changed so it is now legal to fish droppers. All flies must be barbless and the local gendarmes have been known to stick flies in the sleeves of their sweaters to see if they snag when removed, so be sure of what you tie on.
Denny shows how it's done at Rocky Ford Creek in 2010. This is public water, catch and release, fly only water! It's famous for big rainbows - It's kind of like fishing a big aquarium with HUGE fish. Of course in my case last year, they looked at me and laughed. I did catch some pretty awesome 'Brown Reed Trout' though. --Ron--
Reminder: The only nets allowed to use for landing fish at Rocky Ford Creek are knotless mesh.
I couldn't stay long last year, but had a great time. If you plan on attending, drop me (Ron) a note and I'll put you on the I'm Going List!
I'm Going List for the FAOL CWFI 2011
We are looking forward to seeing you all! Let's go fish!
- Steve Zweber (Z) - WA
- Jeff Winikoff (jeffw) - Spokane WA
- Jerry Rector (Forthebirds12) - La Grande OR
- Denny Conrad (denny) - Elk WA
- Kenny Sample
- Ron Tidd (rtidd) tentatively - Bothell WA
- Dr. Hugo M. Gibson (Thunderthumbs) - Havre, MT
- Jonathan Sherwin (Foo/ffb) - Bellingham, WA
- Doug and Kate Gran (Sightseer) - Seatac, WA
- Mike Morlan (Hippyscud) - Moses Lake, WA
- Richard Weaver - Kennewick, WA
If you want to add your name to the list, email Ron (firstname.lastname@example.org) please say CWFI '11, and include your home town and BB nickname.