Quote Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
Is there not a fine and wavering line between jig/lure/fly? If you tie the pattern with bead chain eyes, bead, or barbell eyes it's a fly even if you use a 60deg jig hook, one of my favorites. If you use a jig hook with the lead already on there and tie the same pattern, it's no longer a fly? If I throw my pattern with barbell eyes on a spinning rod and you throw it on a fly rod next to me, does it magically change from a fly to a lure? Too confusing an argument for me, but it sure gets tossed about a lot. <snip>
It may seem to be a muddle, but there is a very real difference to a game warden if you are fishing "flies only" water in many states. According to my guide, you can fish flies from a spinning rod in the "flies only" water on the North Branch of the AuSable River legally. (He told me several years ago.) The same cannot be said by fishing non-flies with a fly rod.

In many places, molded jigs are specifically excluded from the list of what is considered to be a fly, but bead-head flies are allowed. Working around fine lines should not trouble people who tie flies or use fine tippet material.

Ed