Streams are a different story. Each section of water can only hold so many fish. However, when the fishing slows down, if everyone will give that section a rest, new fish will soon move in to fill the void from upstream, or downstream. But the population in the entire stream system will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
Gigmaster,
There are lots of bluegill and lots of gar. There are even a lot of alligator gar. But the fact remains that populations of large fish, be they bluegill or alligator gar, can be reduced dramitcally by over-fishing. In fact, the overall stocks in creeks and small rivers can be greatly reduced in a short time by overfishing. One of my local rivers has been pounded and in two years went from being a very good stream to a very marginal one. Larger bodies of water may be more resilent or may show it later than the smaller bodies of water, but large 'gills CAN be over-fished. I've seen it on streams. I know that my statement won't count as a scientific study, but that doesn't make it less true. It does make it less respected as an article of research, it is merely anecdotal, but I'm going by what I have seen. And that 7" bluegill that gave me such a spectacular jump is to be treated with the greatest care I can muster.

Regards.
Ed