I did not get the Sunglow with Killer Bugs in mind. At the time I was looking for a cheap and dirty (and more to the point, legal) substitute for Tups Indispensible dubbing, which is an interesting mix of red, yellowish and translucent white. I thought that just a turn or two of the Sunglow yarn as a thorax would make a very serviceable Tups.

And re the Killer Bugger (nice name, I'm going to have to borrow that one), I have tried doing a Killer Bug with the Bracken yarn, which is a dark olive when wet, but instead of trimming the yarn closely after tying it off with the wire, leaving about a 1/2" as a tail - thinking it might work as a damsel fly nymph. I found that my local bluegills would take a regular killer bug more reliably - possibly only because it might be easier for them to see.

I think a Killer Bugger could be very effective. I do not believe leaving off the scud back on a scud fly makes it any less effective. Similarly, leaving off the hackle on a woolly bugger may have no impact. I have found that buggers with long hackle are less effective than ones with short hackle. I haven't taken the next step to leave the hackle off altogether. I will tie and try some and report back.