Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
Joni -

I think you and I, as usual, are on the same page. The main difference is that you have chosen a much more varied experience, and you get to observe stuff that a lot of other people do, whereas I choose to fish a certain kind of water because it is in the places I like to spend my time, and I almost always fish alone.

My thinking on the steering effect of mono butt and mid sections is a rather recent thing. A couple months ago, on a chance meeting, I was watching an acquaintance fish. About mid point in his mono leader was a half coil - reel memory that he hadn't completely straightened out. I hadn't seen that kind of thing in years.

This fellow, who has been fishing for a long time, had never seen a furled leader. In discussing them, noting the half coil in his leader and pointing out the impossibility of holding any length of a thread furled leader vertically, the relative stiffness of mono vs. the absolute suppleness of thread furled leaders was really highlighted. In articulating what I intuitively knew about the advantage of thread, the steering / dragging effect of mono emerged as an idea.

Tom talks about drag in his article. He mentions ways to reduce it - while using mono leaders. It certainly would be interesting to get his thoughts after using furled leaders for some period of time.

John

John and Joni, Do you think furled leaders, because of their thickness, have more of a drag?