After a wrap is completed, I cut the tag to about 1/4 inch, each. I do not trim off my tags until after the first coat of spar has dried. As I wrap only silk (YLI) and use Spar, 3 coats on the wrap before I dip, I prefer to tighten up all wraps just before I apply the first coat of Spar by a good brush. After drying I then shave off the tag with a #25 scalpel. I then polish the entire wrap with a Sand Turtle Gleemer. Obtained from a beauty supply. They are used for fingernails. Extremely fine polish & buff. After I get finished with this process, the wraps are perfect. I then coat one more coat of Spar with a brush, dry and then dip. I almost always dip two coats.
This may take a bit longer than some people would like to take. For me it is the perfect wrap that counts. I know it does not make the rod cast better but it sure does make me feel good. I am not fond of any coating that builds up the wrap. I think it makes them all look like a large clump of stuff, not a nicely done wrap.
Works for me.
I always practice wrap 2 to 4 wraps on an arrow before I even touch a guide on a new, to be wrapped blank. I find no mater how good I think I am, after wrapping as many rods as I have wrapped in my lifetime, I feel the fingers and mind need the practice to get back to the perfection I think I need and know I want.
I'd say, if you want good wraps for you to try different ways and techniques. What works for me may not be what works for you. Find your own method and go for it. Practice a lot!

Denny