+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braided Loop Material

Thanks SMClark!

Quote Originally Posted by SMClark View Post
    Why not use the Gudebrod Braided Butt Leader : http://www.masontackle.com/index.php...t_detail&p=205

Quote Originally Posted by SMClark View Post
    Why not use the Gudebrod Braided Butt Leader : http://www.masontackle.com/index.php...t_detail&p=205
    Good stuff but no longer made it seems. Has a tighter weave than the also no longer made Cortland braid.

The black and orange seem to be narrower than the natural. I have natural, black, and orange. The natural definitely has a wider opening. The 35lb was too narrow for some 5 and 6 at floating lines. I used 50lb black or 35lb natural on 4-5 wt floating lines

Thought you all might use a good chuckle.
    I "attempted" to do the triple nail knot on the looped section of fly line. You need a stable knotting tool (vise gripped to the desk top??) and three or four hands in a very restricted area! What a hoot! Wound up using a perfection loop nail knotted to the line! Obviously, more practice is called for before use!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I don't see anyone here suggesting my favorite method. I strip off several inches of the fly line down to the core . This core is then looped, wrapped and whipped finished before coating wraps with pliobond. This leaves a small loop which goes through the guides easily.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I "attempted" to do the triple nail knot on the looped section of fly line. You need a stable knotting tool (vise gripped to the desk top??) and three or four hands in a very restricted area! What a hoot! Wound up using a perfection loop nail knotted to the line! Obviously, more practice is called for before use!
    Betty, I have struggled with this too! What I have found helps is to make the loop in the tip of the fly line about 6 inches long. Leave plenty of room so you aren't struggling to keep things together. Then, use a darning needle instead of a nail. It's a lot easier to thread the eye of the darning needle with the end of the mono than to try to thread the mono alongside the nail. Once you have the nail knot formed, but before you tighten it, adjust the loop in the fly line so you are using only a couple of inches of line for the loop. Then, tighten down the nail knot.

Hope this helps,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    Betty, I have struggled with this too! What I have found helps is to make the loop in the tip of the fly line about 6 inches long. Leave plenty of room so you aren't struggling to keep things together. Then, use a darning needle instead of a nail. It's a lot easier to thread the eye of the darning needle with the end of the mono than to try to thread the mono alongside the nail. Once you have the nail knot formed, but before you tighten it, adjust the loop in the fly line so you are using only a couple of inches of line for the loop. Then, tighten down the nail knot.
    I'm not a knot-tying wizard by any stretch, but I think it's very easy to do with the Tie-Fast tool the guy is using in the video. The Tie-Fast tool rules.

+ Reply to Thread