Quote Originally Posted by foxxtrot View Post
all day long from the yak. I picked up a Humminbird finder for Xmas which will help target the fish some. I fished until the weather stayed under 45 and once I see some warmer weather I will be back out everyday. Mainly conventional fishing from the yak. It is hard to cast well from a yak with the fly rod. I am going to modify my rig to sit three inches higher for this spring.

Small pike.
Why do you find is hard to cast well from a yak? I don't find it difficult at all. First, one of the benefits of a yak is that your very stealthy; the fish don't know you're there (provided you're not banging the yak and making noise). So, you don't have to be very far away from your target.

I rarely have to make a cast longer than 30 feet -- and that's quite easy from a kayak.

When we go to The Everglades, we're withing 20-25 feet of the shoreline and catching 250 to 350 fish per trip.

Most of my clients start out 60-70 feet away and I have to convince them it's OK to get closers. Their instincts tell them they've got to make long casts to be successful. It's just not so.