... overhead of and relatively low to the water ??

If they are, Tenkara may not be a good approach to fishing those streams, unless you want to use a bow and arrow cast, as suggested by pszy22 and CM Stewart in their posts on previous threads, or a modified roll cast as described in one of my posts, IF there is even room for that kind of cast where you are planning to fish.

As to the size of the fish you've seen in video clips, maybe you want to take another look at some of the stills I posted in my original thread. Some of the places I've used, and plan to use, my Tenkara rods hold a good proportion of trouts over 14" up to about 18" with a rare one bigger than that. The fish you are targetting fall within a size range that can be fished and landed effectively with a Tenkara set up.

As to this being a "fad" as suggested by Dudley, I think he may be missing the point. If you find an approach that lets you expand both your fishing effectiveness in some settings and enjoy your time on the water more by using that approach where it makes more sense than using conventional fly fishing equipment, and plan to do it for a long time, it would hardly be considered a fad by most people. Some maybe, but not most.

John