... furled to about a 6' finished length in a 10-8-6 configuration and 40% butt section, 30% mid section, and 30% tip section produces a very supple, very strong, and somewhat stretchy leader that will submerge but doesn't really sink that I can fish very effectively with both dries and nymphs on my 3, 4, and 5 wt rods and does reasonably well on my 7 wt.

... furled to about a 12' 6" finished length but with an approximate 8' butt section, this leader works quite well on my Tenkara rods for fishing dries up to size 8 hoppers and golden stones. It will work with a heavily weighted stonefly nymph, but the casting is more like laughable than smooth.

I've experimented with some light mono, but the stuff I used had some memory so that was the end of that. ( I've also twisted some leaders from mono and fluoro, and they weren't bad, but they weren't nearly as good as thread furled leaders for the fishing I do. )

I've used 6/0 Uni but those leaders are a bit on the light side for what I do. They were okay for small dries on my lighter rods, but not so good for bigger flies fished off heavier lines. I furled a 12' 6" Tenkara line / leader out of 6/0 Uni using the same configuration and proportions as the Danville 210 for Chris, and he found it quite suitable for the Tenkara fishing he does.

I also experimented with kevlar tying thread. Kevlar produced a very strong leader that was less supple than the Danville and had no give at all. Not a bad leader, but kind of pricey - about three times more expensive to make than the Danville. It would probably perform noticeably better in the wind than the Danville and turn over the larger flies a bit better.

I have used leaders made by others from various materials, including fluoro. Most were very good leaders and it is easy to understand why those folks like them for the kind of fishing they do. But for what I do, none of them worked as well as the Danville 210.

Which makes the point that came up on another thread, that the leader pretty much has to be tailored to the individual's preferences and his equipment and the way he uses it. The same leader can be the absolute best for one person and pure junk for another. To write off furled leaders because you start with a piece of junk would be like writing off fly fishing because you tried it one time with a rod that you didn't like.

John