I think I will eventually figure out how to deal with big fish on the tenkara. I only started tenkara in October of this year and have less than 2 month of experience. I tend to get over exited with the big fish and start reaching for the reel handle out of instinct. The net helps. The upside is I keep finding big fish to practice on, the added stealth has not only increased my catch rate but brought up some of the wary big ones.

I have been experimenting with different rods (I now own 3 of them, long story) and different lines of various lengths, taper and material. My favorite right now is a home made 3 strand tapered furl leader with a spar varnish finish, 12' long with an add on 10' butt extender for some bigger water. I started making furled and braided leaders about 10 years ago and can use the same equipment to make tenkara lines.

While I am intrigued by the Eastern simplicity of the system my Western mind set means I leave the reel at home but take 10 fly boxes and 4 types of line, just in case!
The 'one fly' concept will be very hard to adapt. As an avid tier I don't feel prepared without a gazillion bugs in my vest.