Davy Wotton teaches a method I believe he calls "A Cast of Flies" in his DVD 'Wet Fly Ways'. He uses a long fly rod but fishes with line that equals only the length of the fly rod, more or less. He uses a three fly system with the top fly mainly being held right at the surface and he has the rod held high to keep the line above that fly out of the water. He fishes in short casts, working the seams then moves a couple of feet and casts again. Kind of sounds like what a Tenkara fly rod fisherman would be doing doesn't it? Naturally since it is a standard but long fly rod he also covers casting farther out, but his main emphasis is on fishing with a long rod held high and on a short line. I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't need a Tenkara rod to fish a Tenkara style. But, I must admit, since the Tenkara fly rods are so light you can really feel and appreciate the fish that has taken the fly. Also, as pointed out, when moving up a brushy stream, it sure would be a lot easier with a telescoping rod that is only a foot or so long and that quickly pulls out to fish the next set of soft pockets on the stream.

Larry ---sagefisher---