Several of us on the U.K. board have been using the Gu(e)termann threads from Germany for the past few years. Unfortunately, their threads are not generally readily available locally, with the exception of their Sew All, which is equivalent to UNI 3/0. The flip side of this is that their U.S. distributor, Oshmann Brothers of New York, will sell directly to the consumer with a $25.00 minimum order.

These threads are polyester, same as UNI, are available in something like 254 colors, and are available on 5,000 meter (5650 yard) spools at less than $15.00 per spool. They have a thread that is equivalent in it's technical specs to all of the standard flytying threads that most seem to use for furling. If $25.00 seems a bit much for an initial outlay for thread, or 5650 yards seems like way too much thread to have on hand, get with a fellow furler and split an order. That's what I did.

I have been using their "TERA 180" (UNI 6/0) and "SKALA 360" (UNI 8/0) for over two years now and have been completely satisfied with it.

To get an idea of the array of colors, their "Sew All" is available in all JoAnn's Fabrics And Crafts Stores.

Hope this info helps some of you.

aged sage

PS: The parenthetical "e" replaces the umlaut (two dots) over the "U"; and which my keyboard won't accommodate!