Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

john...

Thanks for your detailed response. Your process does make sense to me. Also, someone else clearly ascertained the % reduction through trial and error, and left behind the requisite peg spacings, etc., necessary to make a functional leader.

Yes, I do try to make uniform, predetermined length leaders, and am quite satisfied with what I produce, as they are all uniform. Skip Shorb was my mentor, and he used(s) a 10% reduction factor. As this results in a functional leader, but one with a 'loose' furl, to my thinking, I went in search of methodology for getting a tighter furl, similar to what rope (lariat) makers get (a process that I was introduced to during my formative years in the '40's). This search led me to a paper that addressed maximum twist in ropes, wherein it was noted, that based on physics, the maximum reduction for a 2-strand rope is 37%, and for a 3-strand rope, it is 32%. Based on this information, I proceeded experimenting with various % reductions beyond 10%; all the way to 33% for a 2-strand rope (during this time, I did not try to make a tapered leader, as I was primarily concerned with the 'stiffness' associated with each level of reduction---I have seen new lariats that could stand on their own on their ends they are so stiff!). After numerous trials, I finally settled on a 20-22% reduction as optimal for a supple leader. Anything much beyond about 25% is way too stiff, IMHO. For my own leaders, I use a 20% reduction; which is extremely close to your estimated 18% reduction.

I too use the materials that I personally prefer. As a consequence, I use only polyester threads (Guetermann). And as far as how many furlongs one can run in a fortnight, I have no interest. I make them at my leisure!

Regards,
    Frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.