Thread: Furling lessons learned

Threaded View

Lightbulb Quoting from a response to a question ....

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    MY lesson learned is : i tried them. didnt like them. i dont waste any more money on them. went back to tapered leaders.
    ... on the Election Day Results thread.

"The Sage is an Fli ...
    Originally Posted by pillcaster
    ...May I ask what type of leader/tippit length are you using?...

... 9' for 7 wt, which is a bit much for this stream but handles the indicator / nymph rig better than my other rods.

"The leader is a homebrew 6' thread furled leader made out of Danville 210 Flymaster Plus fly tying thread. This is the same leader I use on my 3-4-5 wt rods for dry fly fishing and fishing smaller nymphs. It handles the large thingamabobber and the size 6 4XL heavily weighted stonefly nymph just fine. The tippet for this set up was Frog Hair 3X fluoro. Had about five feet tied to the tip ring of the leader. The indicator was placed about 2' up from the tip of the leader most of the time.

John

"P.S. Some folks profess to have tried and not liked furled leaders. Makes me wonder what kind of junk they had to try out, or if they gave it a fair chance for the kind of fishing they were doing.

I mean, one thread leader that handles flies from size 20 dry flies on 6X tippet to size 6 4XL weighted stonefly nymphs under an indicator fished on 2X tippet and turns over both of those extremes and everything in between beautifully and enhances the prospects for a perfect drag free drift !! What's not to like about a leader like that that costs about a buck to make and lasts a long time ?? "

Just saying ....
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-06-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    The fish are always right.