+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SBS Korn's WH Apple Caddis Emerger

Hybrid View

Doug -

That is a very creative approach with the single feather for the hackle, legs, and wing. Nicely done.

I am curious about tying the wire down along the top of the hook shank to the bend. Is the intent to simply add weight, or make the fly ride "hook up", or both ??

John

P.S. I did finally have a reason to tie some flies using your WH approach - it worked out quite well.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Doug -

That is a very creative approach with the single feather for the hackle, legs, and wing. Nicely done.

I am curious about tying the wire down along the top of the hook shank to the bend. Is the intent to simply add weight, or make the fly ride "hook up", or both ??

John

P.S. I did finally have a reason to tie some flies using your WH approach - it worked out quite well.
    John, the wire along the top is not essential. I put it there for some additional weight and instead of putting it on the side, I put it on top to give an impression of a scud hook.... These apple caddis pupa are chunky and short, so that's what I am trying to simulate. I don't believe that small amount of wire will encourage the hook to ride upside down as I fish these on the swing, two at a time.... But since you brought it up I wonder..?.. Maybe I'll just go back to tying it on the side or breaking it after making the wire head... OK - it's off to the water tank for some testing......
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

I really like that wing! Gives that wonderwing look while being more durable (since the barbs go in the direction they're supposed to).

However, does that weight for the head act like a bead? If so, won't the fly tend to ride upside down?

Edit to add: The Good Dr. responded first. But I think the head might be more of a problem than the wire being tied on the upside.
    Last edited by Steven; 11-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.

JohnScott, after some testing in the doctors small tank I think at times the wire on top will cause the fly to ride upside down. If the fly is under good line tension the fly tracks true, but in stiller waters or when on a slack line or dead drifted it may tumble and/or possibly ride upside down. Remember though the real bugs are getting knocked all over the place in the current as well and the dead and crippled bugs are drifting helplessly along in all kinds of positions. I've caught a lot of fish on this fly but again I always try and fish it with a tight line. These flies are used to simulate the caddis flies hatching from the bottom and shooting to the waters surface.....

So, like any other fly you tie, tie it the way you like. I think I will change the pattern and eliminate the wire on top altogether just to be on the safe side.... good observation JohnScott, thanks for bringing it up.

Steven, the wire head alone acts just like a bead head on any fly you tie... I tie these without WH's or BH's too...
    Last edited by dr korn; 11-09-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

I think we've gone over this before...There was an article in one of the rags a couple of years back pointing out that when a BH is dropped in a tank, it drops hook up.

The author advocated tying wing cases and the look on the under side.

Lightbulb Thanks, Doug ...

... for the clarification. I fish so few wet flies that I didn't even think about the possibility of fishing it on the swing. I was thinking about what would happen if it were fished dead drift or as a dropper.

Anyway, it is a cool way to do the wing thing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I think we've gone over this before...There was an article in one of the rags a couple of years back pointing out that when a BH is dropped in a tank, it drops hook up.

The author advocated tying wing cases and the look on the under side.
    Steve - I think your right if you just drop a down eyed hook with a bead on it in a tank of still water with no line attached, then yes I think the hook would drop, hook up to the bottom.

But for sub-surface flies; add a line with tension and angle, moving water (up and down stream), fly design etc, etc..... It gets complicated in a hurry. I think the big thing is the balance of the fly. And what effects that balance, that determines how the hook rides. Whether it's; hook shape, beads, fly design, line tension, water current, etc..... it's all about the balance of the fly... It's easier to just let the fish be the judge or tie everything "in the round".
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

+ Reply to Thread