no, No, NO! Don't do it, especially this time of year. I love gators, and believe it or not, they are one of the things I miss about my former home in Savannah. I always enjoyed them from a respectable distance. Even in a boat, if one comes near me, he is immediately given the right-of-way, and I go away from his area. This time of year (spring) they are feelin' amourous, and just like some human males, gator males get real upset if you get too near their girls. Just like Roger, I have had them swim my way before in the spring. This is gator for "get the heck away from my woman!" and you would be wise to heed their warning. I also think Jim's comment about gators "becoming used to humans" bares repeating. In my time in Savannah, I actually could see that phenomenon happening. I imagine that it's an even larger problem in Orlando.
All that being said, if you chose to wade with gators later this summer (again, PLEASE don't even consider it right now) do so only with GREAT caution, and only in areas where you can see the bottom of the body of water you're wadeing in. Then, remain super vigilant, 'cause you won't hear 'em coming!
Swamp