Target: Mainly stripers, I target them with a fly rod from shore or if I'm lucky a boat.

Gear: 9 1/2 foot 8 wgt rod, Reddington reel overlined with 9 wgt weight forward floating line on one spool and an intermediate sinking line on the other. I'll also use a 9 foot 6 wgt with three spools, Weight Forward Floating, Intermediate sinking and a Depth Charge fast sinking line.

Flies that imitate the local baitfish. Salt water that would include Silversides, Peanut Bunker, Bay Anchovies, Mullet and Sand Eels. Fresh water, flies that imitate Herring and Shad.
Decievers, Surf Candy, Spread Fly, Clousers,
Siliclones, Hollow Fleyes, Semper Fleyes, Jiggies.
Salt water tyers use a lot of artificial materials...Unique Hair, Ultra Hair, Mirror Image, Kinky/Slinky Fiber, Fuzzy Fiber. What they do is preblend the flash into the material. Angel Hair is most frequently used, but Polar or Sparkle Flash can also be used. Ratios vary with the tyer. I use a 1:1 ratio.

Habits: True in salt and in fresh water. They follow their food source. If you're fishing a lake with thread fin or gizzard shad, the bass will be around them. They also prefer cooler water. Around here they start moving into the rivers in the spring, but they usually won't start hitting flies until the water temp is in the mid to upper 50's. As the water warms up in the summer, fishing for stripers becomes a dusk to dawn activity. In lakes, where the schools of baitfish are dictate where in the water column the bass will be.
Stripers spawn in the spring, up the rivers from the ocean or the lake. Wipers just dream about spawning though they may have the migratory urge in their genes.
Other thoughts
Stripers will "ball" up baitfish schools and crash them. Often the smaller fish are the most active. The larger fish will sit down lower in the water column, and pick off the dying and wounded baitfish, dropping down. Break out your sinking line.
Follow the diving birds.
Learn from the bait fishermen. If they're live-lining 2-4 inch shad than match your flies accordingly. If they're live-lining 8 inch or 9 inch shad or 12 inch rainbow trout match the "hatch". If they're fishing at night, don't expect much sleep. Otherwise dawn and dusk will be the best time.
Good luck in the spring.