+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishable Waters Near Wheeling, West Virginia

Default Fishable Waters Near Wheeling, West Virginia

We're taking a week off to stay at a resort in Wheeling in early August. I'm having a hard time finding information on good water in the area (within an hours drive). I read great things about fishing in central West Virginia, but it sounds like those spots are a bit of a haul.

It sounds like hitting Pennsylvania or Ohio would be a better (closer) bet. Looking for a little help on some decent water in southwestern PA or northeastern OH. I'm thinking along the lines of the Chagrin in OH and maybe the Yough or Linn Run in PA. No boat, just wading or shore fishing; any species that would hit a fly works for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Since you're not picky about species, You'll have no trouble finding fish. Any stream that doesn't have trout (most in the area don't) will have largemouth and/or smallmouth bass.

Sounds like you're headed to Oglebay?

Lux

That's good news... I couldn't find good info on the PA waterways that spoke of the species available; they all had info on the trout stockings (which I'd imagine are already depleted). I know the Ohio waters hold smallies.

Yup, we're hitting Oglebay; I didn't pick the destination this time.

If I get a better idea of what exactly I'm gonna do, I'll let you know, Lux. You mentioned getting together for some Columbus area fishing before; I just haven't made it out there since then. I can't wait to see how the eastern part of Ohio fishes.

Don't overlook the lake in the resort. Those fish may have seen every plug out there, but I'd wager they haven't seen many flies.

Standing offer on the Central OH fishing. I picked up a 17.5" smallie last night. Although I must confess, I was using hardware <gasp>.

Don't overlook Maryland. You aren't too far from the Savage or Upper Potomac. The Yough is definitely a good choice. Savage is a trout river. The other 2 are good for many species. Trout are always available below the dam on the Yough near Ohiopyle in PA. Trout are in the Upper Potomac but they may be pretty stressed due to high water temps this time of year so the smallie areas may be a better option. I have the FF guides to PA, WV, and MD at home. I recommend all of them if you have time to order them. I'll pull them out tonight and give you come more options and links to fly shops in the area. For my money, there is no way I'd go to Ohio with options you have in that area. Nothing against Ohio, just my personal opinion.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Lux, I was going to save the resort lake for my nephews, and save me some money on the license. Nice smallie; now I'm really feening, hopefully I'll get into some carp on the fly on my local river here.

I appreciate the info Rick. And if you're a smallmouth fisherman, you may want to check out some of the rivers in Ohio. I've caught fish on every trip I've taken, and I'm no pro (don't even know the area that well, I'm from Illinois). If you ever head to OH, though, I can fill you in on what I've figured out so far.

fishlux/ohiotuber

I'm ready for my trip next week. Planning on hitting Little Beaver Creek in Eastern Ohio a few times. Let me know if either of you guys will be able to make it out.

I've only fished Beaver once, but my friends who just closed their flyshop fish it often. I would LOVE to go with you IF I can. What days will you be in Wheeling? (I may be slow in answering as Jack Hise & I will be at Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan 8/20 & 8/21. Appears next days I would be free are Saturday and/or Sunday 8/27 & 8/28. My email is in the profile...shoot me an email & I'll give you my phone numbers.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

There's a Cabela's in Wheeling, you might try asking them.

Rusty <><

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Sorry I couldn't get a hold of you guys; you'll be happy to know we didn't exactly kill 'em anyway.

Quick Report:
    Little Beaver Creek was much shallower than I thought, although it was still very pretty. We found the smallies to be fairly pressured (an elderly gentlemen I spoke to said the river gets hit by a lot of meat fishermen - we didn't see any regulations posted anywhere). My partner found the pattern that ended up working for us; poppers, cast to jumping fish. I didn't even get any small ones in the riffled water, and deeper pockets were no good if the fish weren't jumping. We had to cover a lot of water to find fish, but thye were all above average for a river of that size, in my opinion. Anyway, between the two of us, we got four fish in nine hours across two days of fishing; but we lost about eight more (maybe I shouldn't always push my barbs down). Also saw several water snakes, heard a turkey, and saw a bald eagle. Anyway, I'd say it's worth checking out if you're in the area, but fishing pressure and low water might be hurting it right now.

FYI, the Cabelas in wheeling is very nice, if over-priced. Sorry, I'm not paying a dollar fifty for a woolly bugger of any kind. The lake at Oglebay was very dirty (I didn't even want to dirty my fly line in it), but my relatives caught some nice cats using bait, and buzz-baits along the shoreline in the evening seemed to work as well.

+ Reply to Thread