Steve_A

Welcome on board!!

I have a really nice 5 wt rod that goes freshwater fishing with me as a backup rod.
One day I was fishing this small pond in Alabama and I was fishing with a small purple foam fly. A little slurp and all of a sudden I had a fish on that was taking me into the backing, now being a salt water guy I would have never thought I would need much backing on a fresh water rig. But I am sure glad the guys on this board convienced me to put it on. Any way after a long and I admit tiring workout I bring to hand an 8 lb catfish (acording to the scale I had in the vest) I am sure glad they are hardy fish, it was like catching a small shark on my salt water stuff. Man was it fun. It also taught me a valuable lesson, catfish will hit anything. I have caught a bunch of cats on flies. Some on the wooly bugger and some on top water flies. Usually for me it is dark colors.
While they are not normal for me to catch I do catch enough of them to know that with light tackle they will give you a run for your money. I think Marlin might have something there with the rattle. I do remember catching one on a red worm while bass fishing a long time ago.
Have a great day

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 02 August 2005).]