Heres one that i was just recently told about. I used it this weekend and caught several good crappie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hook: 2X long standard nymph/wet type hook in sizes 8 - 16
Thread: Black, Olive, Red 6/0 or 8/0
Weight: small amount of .015 lead wire
Tail: Small amount of Marabou featheres in red, black, olive, chatruese or bright green, blue, just about whatever you can come up with!
Body: Standard or small Chenielle in colors like the tail. Or if feeling spunky, use peacock herl in either natural or dyed colors!
Ribbing (optional): fine gold wire

1.First start thread one eye width rear of eye and wrap to bend.
2. Wrap and tie in a small amount of lead wire for weight (if needed, it generally will sink without any but not very deep.)
3.Tie in a small amount of Marabou for a tail. Tail should be no longer than hook shank, with most of my tails being 3/4 to 1/2 shank.
4. Tie in ribbing (if used) and chenielle (or herl) at hook bend. Move thread forward to one eye width back from eye. Wrap chenielle (or herl) and ribbing (if used) to thread and tie off and trim tag end.
5. Form SMALL head and whip finish! DONE!!!

For colors, I like to use red, blue and bright green material for tail with a black body. My favorite for louisiana is using a green tail with a olive or dull green body using ultra or small chenielle, this imitates grass shrimp if tied in sizes 14 and smaller in louisiana! I have had luck last fall with using a purple dyed peacock herl body and green or red tailed on with a little weight on the fron of the hook shank , here in the louisville area! Every now and then, I will tie in a 1 or 2 wraps of hackle (brown or black)in appropriate size near head, but remember to use it sparingly!!!

The key to the chenielle gnat is to imitate something that you can by for spinning gear! Go to any fishing gear and tackle shop and you will find small plastic tube jigs for bluegill and crappie in all kinds of colors! Normally these are sold in lengths about 3/4" - 1" long. They work well for spinning gear! I can't remember a time in louisiana that we didn't have a few packs in the tackle box for bluegill and crappie! This fly is extremely user friendly and flexible!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

[This message has been edited by Bass_Angler_04 (edited 07 March 2005).]