Find a kayak demo somewhere and try a variety of models on the water for yourself before deciding. Spend at least a half hour in each model if possible to make sure how it'll do on a long paddle.

I took the family to a local reservior today and rented a couple extra kayaks (both kids brought a friend so there were six of us for my two kayaks...).

Man, the rentals killed me after about a half hour! The "padded" seats in them were not adequate and there wasn't enough leg room.

I was in a Malibu XL because one of my kids had my Hobie Mirage Outback. I've spent 3+ hours straight in my Outback's seat with no complaints but a half hour in the Malibu XL had my foot going to sleep and my butt going numb.

If you're covering long distances for your fishing, you'll likely want to look for a long, slightly narrower kayak (not too narrow or you'll feel insecure while fighting fish). Longer is faster and narrower is faster for kayaks.

Also ponder how you're going to get it to and from the water. Make sure you can lift it onto the top of your vehicle or that it fits in the bed of your truck, etc...