+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way OT- Marlin Lever-actions

20 feet!!!!...you didn't shoot yourself in the foot did you???? [G]

Here we go;
    JC you are right (I hate it when that happens!!) And now I am confused, a state I have learned to live in!! My Henry was shooting high and a taller front sight allowed me to depress the gun barrel more!
    Any way what ever I did made it a better shooter!
    GUNSMITH!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

20 feet at 50 yards is almost impossible unless the barrell is bent. I don't think it's even possible to adjust a peep sight to be that far off.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe i'll buy a new set of sights, the peep sight takes away from the looks anyhow. Perhaps I didn't state my problem good enough. When I said I was shooting twenty feet low on level ground, it meant the bullet hits the ground 20 feet in front of the target.
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

That makes more sense!

------------------

Still a lot, flytyer. Steel toed shoes are in order.

NC Virginian and Castwell are right on the money. I did the same thing with a Ruger 10-22. Put on a Williams peep sight, left the factory front - it was way too high for the rear peep. Same results you have with your Marlin. Put on new, lower front sight, problem solved. Good luck, Jonezee

Flytyer317;
    Jonezee saved me!! If the front sight is too tall it will cause you to depress the barrel when aquiring the target and shoot low. Same it the rear sight is too low! again you have to depress the barrel to aquire the target and will shoot low!
    Once sighted in do not change ammo or you'll have to start all over again!
    This from a guy that has a "Confirmed", Certified" kill on a Pasture Poodle at 650 yards with a .223!!
    Another tip. For fast target aqusition come down on the target concentrating on the front sight and the target, when the bead is buried in the Buck Horn Vee & squeeze!!
    P.S. don't forget to follow through!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

nighthawk Guest

Flytyer317,
    Check out this site [url=http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Store/Category.aspx?category=SightsAndScopes&:85d55]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Store/Category.aspx?category=SightsAndScopes&[/url:85d55]

If you don't like peep sights I would have a gunsmith put a good set of fiber optic iron sights on the rifle. Fiber optics cannot be beat for open sights in low light or adverse weather conditions unless you opt for a good light gathering scope. I won't use anything but fiber optic for open sights.

I agree wiht Jack on target sight picture aquisiton. Always bring the sites from the top down on the target. This allows you to control your breathing and get a good sight plicture on the target even if the target is moving. Least that's how the Army taught us to do it and I ain't gonna argue with my old D.I. (drill instructor). I was born with a rifle in my hands. The D.I. taught me it's proper use.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

I live in a small town just north of cincinnati

get rid of the gun and get a bamboo fly rod LOL

+ Reply to Thread