+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to go fishing in Sanibel

Default Want to go fishing in Sanibel

I'm going to be on Sanibel Island the last week in June. I'm looking for some fishing partners. If anybody live around that area and wants to go email me. If you got a boat I'll buy the gas, lunch and drinks are on me regardless. Just looking to have a good time and to try and learn the area a little better.

PS I'm not a psyco killer, ask flats dude. Any charter recomendations for the family would be great also

phish

He is too!!!!!
    Just kiddin'!
    Great company and knows his stuff. If it weren't so blasted far to drive, I'd come down. Saltydancin' Dave and Gil aren't too far from there (Dave's a psycho, tho)

[This message has been edited by Flats Dude (edited 24 May 2006).]

phishfool - I too will be on Sanibel at the same time. I will try and send you an email. I will be staying near Bowmans beach and will be fishing everyday I can get away with it..
    Bill - pafisherman

Dude,

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

jed

We're staying at Bowmans Beach also, weird.

Jed...precisely!

Might be able to get down that way depending on my day to day activities. Can't really plan much a month away at this time. You'll probably be fishing the beach for C & R snook early mornings & then it'll be too hot to do much else. The toll onto Sanibel is $6.00 & the vehicle traffic will be horrendous because of the rebuilding of the causeway spans. Punta Rassa boat ramp is an hour away from here with trailering & usually busy especially since the parking is reduced. Might be easier to rent some yaks for Ding Darling Park fishing . Flats Dude must think we're psyco instead of psycho because of the looks on our faces when he tells those fishing stories !!!!!!!! Just don't feel like taking the fly rod & giving him 40 lashes for not taking us on that kind of fishing excursion; but hope one day he will ! Email ..

(Spelling corrected)
    Dave, I gotta good mind to haul that skiff down there and make you fish out of it!

------------------
    I was old one day last week, and didn't like it, but I'm better now...
    (Betty's friend)

Phish,

It's been a few years, and a couple of hurricanes since I lived down there, but here are a couple of things to try if you can't hitch a ride with someone.
    Early in the moring you can walk the beach looking for snook. A small white deceiver(#2) should serve you well. I always tie mine with a few strands of peacock herl on the top. Walk the beach watching as far out in front of you as you can. You want to make your cast a parallel to the beach as possible. They are not used to baitfish making a bonsi run at them from deep water There used to be some downed trees between bowmans beach and blind pass that always held snook and trout in the summer. If they are still there they should have fish on them. You can also try the beach at the south end of the island.
    You could also rent a canoe or kayak in Tarpn bay and fish in there. On high water the snook will be in the bushes. Same fly as the surf, but with a weed gaurd. I would start right to the west of the launch area and work my way around to the opposite shoreline. If it's low tide the snook may lay up in the deeper water just out from the mangroves. The deeper flats on the far side of the bay will usually hold trout. A green and white clouser works well there.
    Ding Darling is always good too. Too bad blind pass filled in, it was a great place for a shorebound angler to catch some quality fish.
    Hope this helps...

------------------
    DeLand, FL

Skiff on down Flats Dude. Got some backcountry creeks my boat don't float in where that CS is just the fishin' machine for some summertime lost lakes ! I'll have to check the specs on the 17 semi V & your new - 19 or 21? Might be too big & wouldn't want the hull scratched by the mangroves. Seems your deck project might already be built that way!

+ Reply to Thread