+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in the Berkshires, Please

Default Help in the Berkshires, Please

My cousin has a place in Otis and I'd like to take a few days with him, teaching him to fly fish. Ideally, we'd be on a stream, near Otis, in June or July where a properly coached novice has a chance of hooking a trout. I do not want to hire a guide.
    Guidance concerning locations, and sources for local information, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dpollipo
    so which state is Otis in???????????? it would help to know that Dpollipo
    Ghost

The Housatonic River in MA or CT is not that far. You could even get to the Farmington in CT.

ParaHopper

The Housy is a nice, close bet. The Westfield is also not too far. And the aforementioned Farmington down in Ct isn't too far either. I have fished some of the lakes near Otis and the bass fishing was really good...

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

Just a month ago a bunch of Berkshire fly fishers started getting together once a month to swap lies, share tips, etc. We now have a BBS [url=http://orbitvisual.proboards31.com/:d7acd]http://orbitvisual.proboards31.com/[/url:d7acd]
    Not terribly active, but hey we are just starting out. You might post your question there. I'm shure someone who knows more than I could help you. I just barely know a bit about northern Berkshires and lots less than that about the south end.
    AgMD

The Westfield is a great river to start with. Caught fish on my first outing there with a fly rod, hooked ever since. By June the major stocking will be done, so you should do well no matter where you go.

Good luck,
    Gregg

The Farmington in MASS runs right through Otis. May not have gotten any fish yet and I imagine it is high with the 2" of rain yesterday.

Thanks to all. I'll check out the Housy, Westfield and Farmington.

I believe all those rivers are covered in the MA stocking program. The western part of the state usually gets their fish last, but in June or July you should be fine.

jed

There is a good fly shop that can direct you on the Westfield River. You should contact
    B G Sporting Inc
    1460 Russell Rd
    Westfield, MA 01085-2123
    Phone: (413) 568-7569
    Although I have to admit, the Farmington is a little further from you it is my favourite.

You could also call Michael Flasch at River Run Orvis shop in Great Barrington, he was a great help to me.

+ Reply to Thread