+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paraloops,step by step

Default Paraloops,step by step

Does any website have Step-by-Step instructions for tying a Paraloop dry that I could use at my class ? Thanks

Ray,

You don't say at what level you are teaching but I would assume at least intermediate for paraloops.

While I don't have a web site giving the steps I can make a few suggestions. Personally I don't care for the gallows tools and have never found them necessary.
    Two approaches that make the tying a bit easier; one is to tie in a mono loop about 3 inches long. Post it at the bottom to keep the two legs together. Then insert a finger of your left hand in the loop to place tension on it when wrapping the hackle, generally the middle or ring finger works best for me. Another method which I prefer is to use flex/super floss as the post material. Wrap the end of it around your left ring finger to maintain tension and leaving the other fingers available to assist in the wrapping of the hackle. In both cases you need to compress the hackle down the post after wrapping it. With the foss, stretch it good as you do the compression. After wrapping and compressing the hackle fold the post over and tie both it and the hackle down securely.

Different styles of paraloop can be tied depending on the distance from the base of the post to where it is tied down. Examples - full body length or just over the thorax. Also the post can be tied in so it is tight and flush on top of the hook or extending up higher leaving a gap between it and the body.

I especially like the flex floss because after the hackle is wrapped and compressed you can adjust the length of the paraloop by adjusting the tension in the floss. This is extremely handy when tying a Griffit's Gnat paraloop style, A superior style in my opinion because the body sits in the film instead of high above it.

A vexing problem with paraloops is tying off the loop and hackle at the head without making a mess of it. The way I solve this problem is to have the base of the post at the back of the head. I complete the head before wrapping the hackle. Then I move the thread to the spot where the rear part of the paraloop will terminate. Wrap the hackle, fold it over and whip finish at that point rather than at the head.

I also suggest using saddle hackle for the paraloops as its length makes the job so much easier.

If you have access to a book "Tying flies the Paraloop Way" by Ian Moutter it may be of help. Good luck.

Jim Cramer

[This message has been edited by Jim Cramer (edited 19 June 2006).]

Here is at least the method: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/011904fotw.html:44b88]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/011904fotw.html[/url:44b88]

Sorry about that....

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 19 June 2006).]

Hi LF. Again, the FOTW site does not respond.

+ Reply to Thread