+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Lack of a better name

Default For Lack of a better name

I'll say Spey Wing Green Highlander.

3 hours, I worked on this fly last night, Ended up tying it twice, the first time, I had the Yellow floss as the butt. Trying to mount the wing I disturbed the floss on the butt and it looked really bad, never did get the wing to set properly.

On the second attempt of this fly, I omitted the yellow floss but as I knew the wing would give me issues once again.

For 1 hour and 20 minutes I sat there trying to mount a spey wing. In the end I just settled for this, not perfect but not the best either. I reviewed Ron's wing mounting tricks and went with the one that is the easiest, one on top of the other.

My greatest accomplishment during this session. Didn't loose my patience once and not one curse word left my mouth, .

I've pictured 3 angles, the wings are a little on the thin side, but they are there at least, . What's dissapointing is you can see the edge of one of the feathers on the far side shot.

Well, I'm gonna try a few more at some point today.

Thanks for the Bronze Mallard Ron, this went much better than previous attempts, .
    later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 13 April 2006).]

Mike,

Well done! A beautifully tied fly. Very inspiring to a beginning tier.

Regards,
    paff

That's a nice fly, Mike.

I have to ask, though, do you get much of your materials locally? After that gentleman stopped selling materials at Sobey's Square, I found it very hard to find quality materials(I don't like buying stuff from WallyMart or Can. Tire....quality and price don't impress me much)

I might be coming back to the Avalon for the summer, so I need to know if I should stock up over here before I go?

Jim Langor, 120 Regent Street, of Carrick Drive. Just up behind Dominion on Newfoundland Drive. He has a shop set up in his house. Jim's a good fella, has a fair selection, and average pricing.

Jim's contact info.

tel 739-7910
    cel 685-5457
    toll free 1-877-600-1775

Bronze Mallard from Ronn Lucas, anyone jumping into this stuff, owes Ronn some debt of gratitude, His series on Salmon flies via this site is getting more and more like a library.

rlucas@cybcon.com

Thanks
    for the comments guys

later
    Mike

Nice! Now you know why most Dresser's of Salmon Flies, have a bottle of Single Malt Scotch on the Tying Bench. For just the type of situation, that you encountered. It helps to make, all the difficulties you encounter, to become smaller. ~Parnelli

Thanks,my tastebuds are not that well tuned, does Rum count, .

Mike

Some kind of "Thunder and Lightning"

Unfortunately, this one really got away from me, I wasn't going to post it but then I thought well it's as much about our failures as it is our successes, .

Bad floss work, and the head ran away with it's self, , on an up note the wing worked better and quicker for me this time.

Mike

I really like these flies. For the wing I am wondering, do you prepare the wing material but have it much longer than you need? I would suggest this because the extra that extends beyond they eye is good for holing in your right hand and manipulating while you hold the actual wing in your left hand. If you only have 2 thread wraps you can manipulate the position of the wing quite well before a couple more wraps and cutting the excess.

Yes, I have since figured this out, on the T&L type fly. I didn't think the mallard was that durable but it holds up quite well.

later
    Mike

Nicely done! I'd be very proud of that fly if I were you.

+ Reply to Thread